Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to apply Coupling Constrain, and Rotation of 3D Model? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhavbhuti302

Mechanical
May 11, 2009
US
Hello Abaqus Users,

I am very new to Abaqus, and trying to rotate one gear related to other. When I try using the normal cylindrical constrain, I found that it rotates but it also expands the model. So, is there anyway I can rotate the model and other model rotates with that. Also, I feel that coupling constrain can actually help me, but I don't know how to apply coupling constrain. I tried using the abaqus manual but it's not too clear to me. Can anyone please help me to sort this problem out. I will appreciate if someone can upload very simple file having coupling constrain in it.

Thank you
Bhav

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear all,

I attached the model in format .inp.
The goal is:

I want to calculate the tangential stress in the contact zone.

The problem is:
Two discs with the same material, The angular velocity of the first disc is 410 rpm and the second is 381 rpm. So i thought that i could do it as a static problem, with time increment 0.0001. is it true?

I tried to do it as, steady state trasport, but the problem is that the Abaqus program don´t permit more than one body revolution. so i can make a model for one disc, how can i make the model for two discs?

Now, if anyone has any idea or he/she did something like that, please i want help.

Thank you

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=2880e3b2-36cb-47f8-b219-06be5105447d&file=Rolling.inp
With regards to the static question. I believe that you can do this however the 0.0001 will have to be empirically derived. You will also need to have a much more refined mesh where contact will occur at the end of the analysis. I would have a very coarse mesh where contact will not occur and a refined mesh that gets progressively more refined near the end of the analysis. I hope this helps.

Rob Stupplebeen

Nelio2005, you are right...I have started the thread, but actually I got some what answer after doing trial and error, I am not too sure that I have got right, although I haven't have dynamic model which I wanted to have that initially, but I am just currently working with statically rotated model.

I have attached file here. may be if someone is interested to see that. But I still be interested if someone comes up with idea that how can I rotate one gear and another gear rotates along with the first one, and get results in dynamic condition.

Dear bhavbhuti302

I was looking your model, but it has a problem, i think..

Because when the disc start to rotate the size of the disc has been changed.

untill now, i don´t have any solution for my problem, any help?

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back