Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to assign a name for a solid face with a varying number of sub-faces?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPereira

Jul 12, 2008
GB
How can we assign a name for a face of a solid that has a varying number of sub-faces?

For example, considering a SHPERE that can have multiple gore faces depending on an user variable 'N'.

I want to have the name SPHERE-FACES always assigned independently of the number of gores.

If N=8 it will have 8 gores (faces), if N=20 it will have 20 gores (faces) and so on.

How can we have an automatic name assignment for accommodating automatically that varying number of faces?

I will use that name for an external CFD package recognize it and select it automatically without manually re-selecting it all the time.

Thank you for your help,
Ricardo

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Maybe I did not asked the question in the right way.
I know that we can right click on the feature faces and assign a name to it in the Properties and General tab.
However, when I return to the solid modeling I cannot select that feature through the Attribute Filter in the Class Selection.
I need that assigned name ready to selection to submit it to the external CFD package.

So the title thread should be renamed to:
How to assign and select (in the Class Selection) a name for a solid face with a varying number of sub-faces?

Hello KhimaniMohiki,

Thank you for your feedback. I cannot use the Select all, because my real case has several other faces that must not be selected.
The simple sphere with gores is only an example. Actually I have a subtract body that lefts us with a "hole" with several faces that will vary accordingly to the tool body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back