Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to capture the X,Y,Z values of an associated point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scope63

Automotive
Dec 17, 2007
CA
i am trying to find a way to capture the X,Y and Z values of an associative point that was created by as example intersection of 2 lines.
i know i can do an 'information/point' to get a window output with these values, but is there a way to capture the values to use as a 'Read Only' value expression. i need to report out the values when the intersection changes in Product Template Studio.

Scott Copeland
Design Engineering Contractor
Persego Int'l

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try this...
1) Create Associative POINTS that lie at the intersections of your geometry.
2) Use Edit | Properties and Select ALL the points (use POINT filter to help you select ONLY the point entities).
3) In the resulting Point Properties dialog, choose the General TAB.
4) In the Name text box, type PNT and check the Add Index toggle (leave the initial number at 1).
5) Choose OK. Each POINT has a unique name PNT1, PNT2, PNT3, etc.
6) Select the Spreadsheet option from the Tools menu. If you are using a Windows Platform, this will invoke the Excel Spreadsheet application.
7) In the Spreadsheet, select cell A1 and type PNT1. Select this cell and pick the little block in the bottom-right corner of your selected cell then drag this down the page. you will see the number-suffix increment. Release the mouse-button once you have created enough entries to match the number of points you defined at step 1 and selected at step 2.
8) Select cells B1, C1, and D1.
9) type =point(A1) and press the Ctrl + Shift keys together before you press the Enter key. This combination of key-presses will give you the X,Y, and Z coordinates of the first point named in cell A1.
10) Select cells B1, C1, and D1.
11) Press the Shift key and using the cursor-down key, scroll down to the bottom entry in column-A. Type Ctrl-D to replicate what you have in Row 1 in all the other Rows (except that they contain the coordinates of all the other points named in column-A.
12) You can Save the spreadsheet and return to NX.
13) Try modifying the geometry that defines the location of one of the associative points and re-invoke the Spreadsheet application. You will note that this point has updated coordinate values.
14) To create a Read-Only set of data, try performing a Save_As on the Spreadsheet.
15) You can also use this technique using the Drafting Tabular Note function and create a drawing that updates. If you are using Master Model though, you may need to LINK the points in the drawing-part and 'name' them there (steps 2-4).

Sorry I can't illustrate the solution bu I hope this helps?

NXherbie
NX7.5 & Teamcenter 2007

ok thanks i'll give that a try.
my other option was to just take an associative measurement to each point. that will give me a value i can use in PTS.

Scott Copeland
Design Engineering Contractor
Persego Int'l

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back