Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to change orientation of BEAM 188

Status
Not open for further replies.

rupika

Civil/Environmental
Apr 3, 2010
Hi all,
I use Beam 188 element for my model. I want to change orientation of the beam. I went through the ANSYS document and this expression was there. "Node K is always required to define the orientation of the element". But can't find how to enter K value. I tried it by following method. Preprocessor->real constant->thickness func->function of shell thickness vs node number.But it requires name of array parameter.
Please give me an idea.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
I used "I" beam cross section for BEAM 188 element. I entered dimensions of I beam using preprocessor-> sections-> beam->common sections. When I draw a horizontal element it shows as H section instead of I section. How can I change it to I section that means orientation? It is o.k with vetical elements. I have attached a document herewith.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=2fc34682-b5cb-422d-89fa-e0d7e6fd99ea&file=document1.docx
You may have to draw your desired section upside down to get it to orient correctly. If you haven't already played with Modelling>Move>Reverse Normals, you should try that first.

As i remember cross sections are defined in XY plane. where X is horizontal and Y is vertical. if u want to use I section as H u just have to change the orientation of the cross section when assigning it to a line mesh. I didn't remember the exact procedure now. but check ansys help for older beam elements too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back