Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to change orientation of BEAM 188

Status
Not open for further replies.

rupika

Civil/Environmental
Apr 3, 2010
Hi all,
I use Beam 188 element for my model. I want to change orientation of the beam. I went through the ANSYS document and this expression was there. "Node K is always required to define the orientation of the element". But can't find how to enter K value. I tried it by following method. Preprocessor->real constant->thickness func->function of shell thickness vs node number.But it requires name of array parameter.
Please give me an idea.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
I used "I" beam cross section for BEAM 188 element. I entered dimensions of I beam using preprocessor-> sections-> beam->common sections. When I draw a horizontal element it shows as H section instead of I section. How can I change it to I section that means orientation? It is o.k with vetical elements. I have attached a document herewith.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=2fc34682-b5cb-422d-89fa-e0d7e6fd99ea&file=document1.docx
You may have to draw your desired section upside down to get it to orient correctly. If you haven't already played with Modelling>Move>Reverse Normals, you should try that first.

As i remember cross sections are defined in XY plane. where X is horizontal and Y is vertical. if u want to use I section as H u just have to change the orientation of the cross section when assigning it to a line mesh. I didn't remember the exact procedure now. but check ansys help for older beam elements too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back