Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

how to connect 4 wire RTD (PT100) in wheatStone Bridge? 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

ak05

Electrical
Feb 22, 2014
IN
i want to connect a 4 wire RTD PT100 in a wheatStone Bridge.
i tried searching on internet but only upto 3 wire configurations in bridge are available or circuits using other ADS IC's are available. but i want to do it in a Bridge Configuration. can any one suggest how i can do it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The 4-wire RTD is the bridge circuit. A bridge circuit's function is to accurately convert a resistance to a voltage signal. With a 4-wire RTD you send a fixed current down two wires and measure a voltage on the other two wires. This voltage is proportional to the RTD resistance and is not affected by the lead wire resistance.

To accomplish that diagram you would have to cut two wires at the RTD and connect them direct together to form a simple wire loop. This loop then acts as compensation for lead resistance using the external bridge circuit.

It is not possible to wire a 4-wire RTD as shown in your diagram. Your diagram really shows a 2-wire RTD wired to a bridge along with two additional wires used for lead wire resistance compensation. This uses four wires, and does the same thing as a 4-wire RTD, so it may be called a 4-wire RTD installation. But the two implementations are just different.
As I said, a 4- wire RTD is its own bridge circuit, and you don't place one bridge inside another.

means the output of this pt100 through sense wires can be directly given to anaogue to digital converter? will it work that way?

i want to use 4 4-wire RTD's (Pt100) to sense say temperatures in 4 different rooms.
which ADS IC will be good for this one? which ADS ICs which is low in cost bt cant take input from these 4 RTDs ?

If you're just measuring "room" temperature you do not need 4-wire RTDs. Use junky 2 wire RTDs or better use a thermistor like everyone else does. Or better yet, get yourself a handful of LM34 or LM35 parts. They make the ENTIRE task much simpler.

LM34

Keith Cress
kcress -

The first diagrams show a standard THREE wire RTD connection. This is the common connection used in industry. It is suitable for distances of hundreds of feet. The four wire connection may be used in laboratory environments, but not in the field.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

We're talking a "room". Rooms don't warrant extra accurate sensing since they aren't even thermally homogenous. A room can easily have a couple of degrees of variation spread around it and it changes constantly with set-points and external ambients.

Keith Cress
kcress -

i want a way to connect a 4 wire RTD to a WheatStone Bridge.
is it possible to do that or no?

and what about the kelvin configuration show in the below image ?
4wirebetter.gif

i want to take input from 4 4-wire RTD's and then give it to a ADC and then to a MicroController.
but all of this i have to do using WheatStone bridge. So i want a way to do so.
please suggest me.

Is the obession with a Wheatstone Bridge because that is a requirement of your college homework question? I can see little practical reason for needing a 4-wire connection at all in this application, and even less to insist on using a Wheatsone Bridge to the exclusion of other accepted techniques. And cheating on your home work is against the rules of the site, plus it doesn't help your education.

no.. i just want to know whether i can connect a 4 wire pt100 in one of the arm of the wheatstone bridge.
if yes then how to go about it?
if not wheatStone bridge then is it possible with any other bridge? please help

if it is really not possible to connect a 4 wire RTD in any bridge then is there any IC which can take input from upto 4 4-wire RTDs ? with lowest cost ? to which i can feed these 4 RTDs..? ADS1246/47/48 can take upto 3 4-wire RTDs ,but is der any IC which can take 4 4wire RTDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back