Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to convert an assembly into one solid block?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthBear

Mechanical
Jun 6, 2001
US
Does anyone know how to convert an assembly file into a solid block?
That is convert an assembly with its many parts into a solid lump that looks like the original assembly but can not be edited in any way and has a much smaller file size.
I am looking at trying to create simple representations of assemblies for sales to use for quotation purposes. The files are too large the way they are now.

Thanks for the help

NorthBear

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Northbear,
Use amcombine and join the hole assy to one part (all instances must be local - MDT 3). Then use explode and it
all becomes one solid. By the way - it does not require all parts to be connected or intersecting.

Regs,
Linqur

Thanks for the help. The problem with this solution is that for as many parts and assemblys as I need to do it would take me forever! the reason is that you have to add the peices one at a time... if there is a way of combining all peices in one step please let me know.. that would be perfect!

Thanks for the responce.

NorthBear

ok, here's what you can do...

save the file you are working on
(let's call it "assembly_1")

then open a new or existing assembly file that you wish to attach "assembly_1" to. "Assembly_1" now becomes a "part" in the new assembly file... it will move as 1 part...

if "assembly_1" needs to be changed, open the original "assembly_1" file... edit and save, then reopen the file it was attached to.

I will tell you how to do what you want to do, then I will tell you how I recomend doing it. First of all, you could use "AMCOMBINE" to combine parts in a child sub-assembly but it will not work in a parent sub-assembly. By parent sub-assembly, I mean a sub-assembly can have additional sub-assemblies in it (2 or 200, whatever) Also, a part cannot be combined with another of the same part in a sub-assembly. Probably the fastest way to do what you want would be a three step process. First in MDT, use "ACISOUT" and select all of the parts, and save it to a file. Next, open regular Autocad, and use "ACISIN" to bring in the file you just made. Now use "COMBINE" to combine all the parts into one. These 2 ways will not meet the end result requirements. The first option I mentioned is limited, and the second option I mentioned does combine all of the parts, but the file you end up with will be about 20% BIGGER than what you started with. Also, Autocad 2000 & 2002 makes it much easier to modify solids.
If you want 3D images, first apply materials to the parts, then choose a view you like, or rotate it as to how you like it, then render it using the photo real option. Next use "SAVEIMG" and save it as a .bmp, .tif, or .jpg. I said use render, because if you just use shade (gouraud, etc.), the image will be saved as a 2d wireframe.
If you just need 2D images, then prepare a layout the way you like it (however they need it), then use "AMVIEWOUT" and save the file. Now the file will be about 80% SMALLER than the original drawing, and can be opened in reqular autocad. The file will be editable, but I guess I can't meet all of your requirements 100%.
By the way, You didn't mention which MDT you were using, but I hope this helps.
Flores

Have you tried exploding the assembly? You need to explode sub-assemblies and parts aswell but you are left with non-parametric solids.

I always end up doing this when exporting to another software program.

Matt

have u tried saving the file to drawing web format (dwf) in isometric view? or how about volo view? or maybe exporting to 3d studio max the adobe photoshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back