Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to create flat pattern from sheetmetal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travh2008

Mechanical
Aug 20, 2012
US
Hello,

I am new to NX6, and I created a sheetmetal part file that I now want to create a flat pattern of. I attached a picture of my part to this post.

Problem: I know how to use the Unbend feature to flatten the part out, but next when I click the Flat Pattern button, I'm not sure where I should go from there (I'm not exactly sure what lines in my part I should click for the "additional curves" section in the pop-up wizard, for example. I tried a few times and I get "Unable to create body" errors.

Question: Is this the correct way to get a flat pattern made of this sheetmetal part? If so, can someone explain to me how to use the flat pattern wizard? If I need to clarify anything I will try.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

did you make the part in sheet metal or in modeler and convert to sheet metal? Either way, when you pick Flat Pattern you should only have to pick the face that you want up (unless you pick the orientation for the X-Axis) then pick OK. That should create your Flat Pattern. You will have to go to View-->Layout-->replace view because the flat pattern is on a different view. If your using the global settings, check to be sure that the bend radii, etc, are not too large or small.

The 'Unbend' command is NOT used to create either a flattened solid OR a Flat Pattern. To create a Flattened Solid, use the...

Insert -> Flat Pattern -> Flat Solid...

...command. And if you wish to create a 2D wireframe Flat Pattern' suitable for drafting or use in creating the manufacturing data needed to create the unformed blank, then use the...

Insert -> Flat Pattern -> Flat Pattern...

...command and then follow-up doing what sam5a1 suggested.

Attached is a sample part modeled (in NX 6.0) based on your picture. It contains both a 'Flattened Solid' (currently suppressed) and a 2D 'Flat Pattern'. If you wish to see this wireframe 'Flat Pattern', go to the Part Navigator and expand the 'Model Views' item and double-click on the item named "FLAT-PATTERN-15".

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=fbc3ecee-26ff-413f-ade5-e25a1fe7ca90&file=Flat_Pattern_Example.prt
Thanks a lot for your advice guys. John, I really appreciate you taking the time to do that for me, I'll take a look at it when I get into the office tomorrow.

John, I see what you did here I think. Before, I kept creating multiple tabs instead of adding flanges. That messed up my model before. But now when I made my model as you did, but with my own dimensions added, I can't seem to "see" the flat pattern. It shows up on my model views as flat pattern, but I see nothing but the coordinate system axis. I'm going to play with it some, but is there a reason for that which I'm missing?

(By the way, I can create a flat solid fine with my current model.)
Thanks,
Travis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back