Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to design a speed sensor circuit with a monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter7139

Electrical
Dec 26, 2013
US
Hello guys,

I want to design a speed sensor which can sense the speed of a roller coaster and put the circuit on the track. Then, the circuit can transmit signals to a monitor that is about 100m away form the sensor to show the speed of the roller coaster.

Is there anyone know how to design it?

I want to use a hall effect device to sense the speed but I don't know how it can show the speed on a monitor.

I am still doing a lot of research on it. If anyone has similar experience or useful information. Please that me know.

Thank you very much!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As usual, the Arduino comes to the rescue!

A magnet or a piece of steel, an inductive pick-up (proximity sensor) or a reed relay (if you use a magnet), reciprocal speed measurement. There you are - a speed sensing circuit which can resolve down to better than one percent. Time out when speed is low and show <10 km/h (or some other message).

There are numerous "shields" that can be used. Including radio transmitters. Just add one and you have the information stationary on ground. The rest is also trivial. Use a TV screen or a display or whatever.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

Sounds like homework. Just how much research have you done? A hall sensor will give a pulse of a certain duration. Multiply that number by something and you will get speed. Can all be done with a UNO. If going 100M, you might want to PWM speed to get DC voltage and send that to DC panel meter to read speed.

Unlikely that you can get velocity from a single measurement, so you probably need two sensors or two magnets separated by a known distance

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Reciprocal speed measurement does it. Used all the time on paper machines and steel mills. Just do it.

Gunnar Englund

That's because it's cyclical, but that's not the situation here.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

I'd not bother with a Hall Effect sensor. You have to get too close to the track or passing cars.

Just use a retro-reflective or transmitter/receiver pair of optical sensors. Time the period between cars (since they're a fixed length). Speed = distance/time. Count the time from when the sensor starts to see something (the car) to the time when it can no longer see it. Use that time in the above equation. Generate a speed for every car and leave the last speed up on the display.

Examples of photoelectric sensors

Keith Cress
kcress -

??? Explain.

You get new speed information every time the wheel turns. Do you really need better?

Believe me, I use this technique to measure speeds on winders during acceleration, winding and deceleration. No probs.

Gunnar Englund

Doesn't peter want to read the speed of the car continuously? And transmit the result to a receiver on ground?

Gunnar Englund

"You get new speed information every time the wheel turns. Do you really need better?"

Yes, if it's shaft mounted, but roller coaster cars are generally unpowered, so installing a sensor on the car was probably a non-starter. Therefore, the sensor needed to be close to the track, and therefore needed two detections to determine speed.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

OK. I see.
But wireless transducers and energy harvesting is being used more and more. So, I don't exclude a car mounted sensor. Batteries are also an option.

Peter? What are you trying to do? Actually.

Gunnar Englund

I want to design a speed sensor which can sense the speed of a roller coaster and put the circuit on the track.
I took this to mean a stationary device.
I may be wrong.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

hello guys,

Thank you for all your ideas.

What I really want to do is: "I want to measure speed of cars". haha.

or put hall effect sensor into wheels and measure frequency or RPM and transmit data remotely to me.

OK. Then use my method.

But why Hall sensors? A simple reed switch and a magnet is better in every respect. Less distant dependent, less power consumption (zero) and better temperature stability.

Use a simple low pass filter (around 1 ms) and a schmitt trigger (most micros have that) to debounce the signal. Arduino is perfect for this task.

Gunnar Englund

It's still a roller coaster car.

to Skogsgurra: Yes, I'd like to try your way but can you give me more information about Arduino? They have many different product. which one is best for my application?

Thanks a lot!

To MacGyverS2000:

I am trying my best to finish my job. I know these might be a simple question for you but I am lack of experience and have no other partner can discuss with.

I know how to choose a proper capacitor if the source is very stable. However, my situation is different. The frequency is changing all the time and I never meet this situation before so I want to ask about it. I need to deal with many different problems at a time so I think sometimes asking people is a good way to get start. I am not a guy who just ask for answer. I am also doing research to try to get my project done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back