Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to differentiate between 316 and 316L based on material composition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSunny

Mechanical
Jun 1, 2022
CA
I am having some confusion if the material I have is 316 or 316l. This is a SA-249 Stainless steel tube. Based on the material composition and strength requirements, the material fall into both.

If I consider the tube as 316, I could use the HA2 chart for external pressure and the required thickness for the tube will be less than the HA4 chart for 316L. So, how should i approach it?

C Mn P S Si Ni Cr Mo Ti
Actual Tube 0.029 1.43 0.026 0.018 0.41 10.18 16.25 2.1 -

Capture_dkvipg.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If it qualifies as 316L then you must design as 316L.
You don't get to do one part of the design calling it 316, and another part calling it 316L.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

What does the MTR say? If it is 304 regardless of the carbon content being less than 0.08 then use the appropriate properties. If the MTR calls it 304L even though the mechanicals are higher then use those.

@EDStainless. The carbon content of the material as per the MTR is 0.029%. Do this mean the material is both 316 and 316L? The mechanical properties also meet the requirements for both 316 and 316L. So, i am wondering what grade this material belong to?

Yes. Refer to one of the appendices in ASME IID for more details on the use of dual certified markings.

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

If your client requires 316 and the material is dual-certified 316/316L, you can use the higher strength 316 as the basis for your calculations if you list 316 with an asterisk as the on the Manufacturer's Data Report. Then in the Remarks section you can state that the tube material also meets the metallurgical requirements of grade 316L.

-Christine

CSunny, yes you can, but you have to completely treat it as 316. No mixing properties between the two.

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back