Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to get flexural stress of a plate modeled counterfort?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You say the counterforts are plate elements.....but looking at your mesh, that looks more like solid elements to me.

In any case, finding the moments for plate elements is pretty straight forward. In post-processing, you click on the plate tab and the values should come up in (on the right hand side of the screen) in spreadsheet format.

Hi WARose, it were plates,i modeled if myself. As with your reply that forces are just there (straight forward), you might be telling the out of plane stresses (Mx, My Mxy). But please take note that the counterforts were in plane with the main wall forces, and this is not what i need to have.

If you are talking in-plane behavior.....you can get principal stresses in the output. If you want to find the overturning moment at the base.......you can figure that from the reactions.

Did you let the program mesh that for you. Because it's not a very good mesh. I'd consider going back and meshing it by hand. Then at least you could guarantee that your local axes line up better. Then looking Fx and Fy should give you a pretty good idea of compressive or tensile stresses in the plates relative to their local axes. That should be pretty close to what you're looking for I would think.

Hi Josh, i actually had the automatic meshing for the counterfort just to take its stiffness effect, as i was only taking the stresses or the direct walls from staad to take up most likely in two way action (which i made a regular mesh as per my intended widths. Since i was uncertain with the counterfort bending moment streses from STAAD, i just did it manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back