Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to handle components that dont play any role in structural behaviour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptsal

Mechanical
Jan 18, 2013
PT
Hey guys,

I have the structural part of my model already finished, however that is not enough because I need to include all the other components that will influence the dynamics of the whole model. I want to have the influence, for example, of the weight and inertia of my motor, however I dont want to have a solid instance cause my model is already huge and I'm trying to reduced the number of DOF as much as possible.
So I wonder what the alternative is. I am afraid that with discrete rigid elements the whole structure becomes stiffer than it really is.

So my main question resumes to this: I want to include the inertias and weights of the components and I dont know how should I connect them to the main structure, without influencing the strcuture stiffness.
(I hope I was clear enough)

I'm little confused with this, so If someone could give me some ideas I'd appreciate.

Thanks in advance,
PTsal

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I already thought of doing it that way, however I don't think that is the right way to do it.

For example, if I have four support points for the point mass & inertia and if I couple the point to those 4 points, it is as if I have a rigid connection between the four support points, and I dont want that.

Do you know any alternative to that?

Use connectors to connect the mass, and give them an elastic behavior (with possible damping). Alternatively, you could use substructuring to represent your engine by one 'mega-element', see e.g. 3.2.2 Substructure analysis of a pick-up truck model. I've only used it in static sims, but manual says you can use in dynamic also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back