Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to identify the resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

how to identify the resistor

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hai Friend,
There is a easy way to remember the color coding of resistors which i have been told in my college:
BB ROY Great Britain Very Good Wife.
The capital letters indicate the colors with a value from 0 to 9. Black(0), Brown(1), red(2), Orange(3),yellow(4), Green(5), Blue(6), Voilet(7), Grey(8) and White(9).
The first two colours represent the direct numbers and third digit indicate the value to which this number has to be raised to the 10th power.The last color indicate the accuracy of the resistance.

To show my age, there is pre-Politically-Correct memory aid that we were taught in MY college:

Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls, But Violet Goes Willingly

To add the tolerance code: Get (Gold) Some (Silver) Now (None)

Needless to say, we didn't have many women in our classes back then. (But it is easy to remember provided you can remember which B and G are which)

How about Bad Beer Rots Our Young Guts But Vodka Goes Well. Thats the one I was first taught.

Probably I'm dating myself, but I learned it in the "Bad Boys...." version.

Here's one for the seven-layer OSI model:
Please (Physical)
Do (Data Link)
Not (Network)
Take (Transport)
Sales (Session)
People's (Presentation)
Advice (Application)

No offense intended for, nor directed toward, the vendor/service provider community, from whose professionalism, expert judgement, and hard work I have benefited greatly throughout my career.

Well I am female and young and I was taught the 'Bad Boys' way as well. Nothing much changes!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back