Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to make a 5 volt battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonathanEngr

Civil/Environmental
Feb 3, 2005
US
I have a wireless network camera that I want to mount in a location that doesn't have an outlet (the camera I own is the D-Link DCS-900G, and details can be found here: Anyway, the users manual states that the power supply cord is a 5-volt, 2.5-Amp power supply. I know so little about electricity, but if I remember correctly I could get 6 volts by placing 4 1.5 volt batteries in series, correct? However, would 6 volts damage the unit? If I did create a 5-volt battery system, doesn't the voltage on a battery drop as it's used? How long would batteries run the camera? (Obviously it depends on battery size and type, but I have no clue where to begin).

Anyway, I just need to work up some way to get some juice to the camera, and a 50-foot extension cord running through the middle of my front yard is an option I'm sure my wife isn't going to go for, and I have no desire to pay someone to run electricty to the site. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You want to google "low head" voltage regulator. You would take your 6V and regulate it down to 5V. Alternatively you could use a silicon rectifier to dump 0.7V by placing it in series with the the 6V.

Other things to consider.

A bunch of 1.5V dry cells aren't going to last long.

A six volt lead acid battery will last far longer.

Six volt LA batteries put out more than 6V.

Six volts would probably damage the unit but 5.2 - 5.3 probably wouldn't.

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

You can probably get it to work for a usable time period with four NiCd cells and no regulator, or five NiCd cells with a regulator.

If you charge the cells while they are in the circuit, e.g. with a trickle charger, you _must_ use a voltage regulator, because it takes something like 7V to charge a 6V lead-acid battery, and probably a bit more than 5V to charge a 4.8V NiCd battery. Most 5V devices will tolerate some undervoltage, but not overvoltage.

OR, run it from the specified AC adapter (no warranty issues), and run _that_ from a computer UPS, which should be good for a couple of days.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Spec sheet in back of manual says its 5V 2.5 amp. Also says 5 watt. Numbers dont add as 5 V at 2.5 Amp is 7.5 watts.

So to Battery. Nicad or NiMH are 2000 maH for the
very high capacity AA size, 1.2 votl per cell,
will last about 3/4 hour

Enersys X cell (fat D sealed lead acid)
is 5 amp hours 2 volts per cell (2.14 charged).
3 in series would provide a couple hours and last
through about 300 charge discharge cycles.
Cost is more than $10 a cell on the open market.

Golf cart battery is 6 volt, 220 Amp hour, Weight less
than 75 pounds... About 1 foot cube last about
2 - 3 days at that rate (100 hours or so.)

Gives you an idea of your trade offs.
Low drop out regulator for 2.5 amps is going to take a heat sink etc etc. This little puppy is power hungry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back