How to model buoy anchor system

Status
Not open for further replies.

HthrC

Structural
Jul 11, 2006
US
Hello All,

I need to design concrete anchor blocks (sinkers, basically) used to hold position buoys in place. The position buoys in turn support a floating boom. So, the floating boom is at the water surface loaded by drag, vessel impact, debris, etc. That load is transferred to the position buoy which is connected by cables to multiple anchor blocks on the river bottom. I know the maximum loads applied to the position buoys (horizontal as well as buoyant load) from the boom manufacturer. I was hoping to use STAAD to size and position the anchor blocks. My question is how to model this?

A restraint in the vertical direction at the buoy with tension members connecting the buoy to the pinned support anchor blocks?

I've attempted to attach a plan and cross section in case my written description of the system isn't clear. Any help is appreciated

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=9c95c267-78b1-492a-bada-6f13a5daa818&file=anchor_system_cross_section.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The buoy would be supported by the buoyant force from underneath and the cables. So if you apply the buoyancy as a force on the buoy in addition to any loads from the floating boom, I think it should work. The cables can be specified as tension members and anchors can be defined as pinned supports as you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back