Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to model infinite part for axisymmetric elements in Abaqus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kumara123

Geotechnical
Jun 13, 2016
AU
Hi, I am trying to model an infinite boundary for 2D soil media with different layers in Abaqus.
I want to add an infinite part to the axisymmetric elements. I tried that with defining acoustic elements (ACAX4) and then convert into infinite elements (CINPE4) in .inp file. But it was done by a mixture of 2D and axisymmetric elements. Is this ok or can anyone recommend me a method? 
Also, how to assign different material properties to different layers after obtaining the infinite elements (it becomes an orphan mesh part).

Thanks

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=657cb44f-3b7d-4a8e-b17b-a15b574eaa95&file=Capture.PNG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear Mehdi,

I used the same method I explained in the problem and convert the ACAX4 elements into CINAX4 in .inp file.
Is that the answer you want?

Thanks,
Kumara.

Dear Kumara

Thank you for your help.
I am trying to work with orphan mesh, but I have some problems. Do you have any references about orphan mesh and how it works?

Best regards
Mehdi

Dear Kumara

thanks a lot. I saw these videos and they are great. I have problem with assign different material properties to different layers after obtaining the infinite elements with orphan mesh.

Mehdi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back