Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to move a specified part only and add constraint at the same time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yy912

Mechanical
Oct 7, 2022
US
I want to move part A and create constraint relative to part B. Part B should not be moved during the time.

Option 1: Use "Move Component" and select "by constraint".
In settings I can check "move selected components only", so part B won't be moved. But the constraints won't be saved. Once I click OK the constraints are gone.

Option 2: Use "Assembly Constraints".
In this case I can add the constraints, but I cannot control which part will be moved during the process. Sometimes part A is moved and sometimes part B is moved. How does NX decide which part to move? Does it follow any order? (Part B is not fully fixed and I don't want it to be fixed yet, as I want to move it later.)

Did I miss anything? Is there setting in Option 1 or 2, that I can move part A only and add the constraint at the same time?

NX 1919 Windows 11

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

@multicaduser Thanks, that's a workaround. But in the future if I want to do the same thing to B, i.e., move B and add constraint to it, I need to delete this fixed constraint first.

NX 2212 Windows 11

In my experience, when working with 2 unconstrained components, the first one chosen will move toward the 2nd. In general, it seems that the first will move toward the 2nd unless other constraints prevent it.

www.nxjournaling.com

I find it to be a shot in the dark with assembly constraints, Usually it is the first part that is picked that moves. When NX gremlins get angry, and they get real angry, parts start moving all over the place, come to find out I should have not been in the sunlight when working within NX. I think some new enhancements in 2306 let you define your movable and non-movable components. They also have them all broken up, vs being in one command box.

I don't think applying a fix constraint to your primary component is a work around so much as good practice.

"Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively."
-Dalai Lama XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back