Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to perform a compression test in abaqus? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jzeds

Mechanical
May 28, 2020
IR
Hi, Ive been struggling to perform a compression test(like ASTM 695) for a lattice structure(fig.1) which is made with ABS plastic. i have data from a paper and cad from catiapart file. ive never done a compression test simulation and have no idea what to do(i keep getting wrong results )
q:should i insert anything other than elastic - plastic in property and does the conversion from plot to table looks ok ?(fig.2)
any type of relevant pdf/video tutorial is welcome
fig1
eerf_rwdlaz.jpg

fig2
ddgh_aly9ci.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You have to define elastic and plastic behavior separately (Mechanical --> Elasticity --> Elastic and Mechanical --> Plasticity --> Plastic). For elastic part specify Young's modulus and Poisson's ratio while for plastic part enter true stress - true plastic strain data from stress-strain curve. You can use Calibrations tool to make the process easier. It will automatically define elastic and plastic behavior based on the imported data.

thanks, i used a program to extract data from plot and get numerical data(like image 2).i assumed that data is an engineering stress-strain so i changed it to true stress-strain.
then i entered data to(property- plastic ) as you said.
-But i started to insert stress from 23mpa to end(because yield started there)
and subtracted all strains from first strain input
q;is this procedure correct ?

Yes, first pair of stress-strain data specified in Abaqus must be initial yield point and zero plastic strain. Then add next stress values with corresponding plastic strain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back