Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to prepare HCl gas from HCl acid

Status
Not open for further replies.

gettering

Materials
Sep 22, 2006
US
Hi,

I heard that HCl gas could be effective for cleaning the quartz tube in the high temp. furnace. But, seems there is no commercially available HCl gas. So, we are planning to prepare HCl gas using HCl acid we have in our lab. Could you tell me how to prepare HCl gas using HCl acid? I'm not sure what solutions are required for preparing HCL gas exactly, the recipe, and the needed equipments.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hydrochloric acid (concentrated lab grade) is about a 37 wt% solution of HCl(gas) dissolved in water (dissociated as H+ & Cl(-)). The vapor above concentrated hydrochloric acid is almost entirely HCl(gas). Look it up in a CRC Handbook of Chemistry & Physics.

HCl(anhydrous) is readily available, but if not familar with the compressed, liquified form (vapor pressure above the liquid is 613 psi @ 70 [sup]o[/sup]F) maybe too dangerous to bother with. Many specialty gas suppliers can furnish; e.g.,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back