Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to remove free edges in Abaqus ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaidehiChennubhotla

Mechanical
Jun 14, 2018
US
I have a CAD model which was imported into Abaqus Software. I am using appropriate partitioning strategies to convert orange part(unmeshable) into meshable part(Yellow for solid, pink for shell).
I am observing some free edges which as I understand are preventing the region to convert from shell to solid. How to remove these free edges in my model ? What exactly is a free edge ? Why it occurs ?
1. I tried removing the face and the adjacent faces too and recreated this using blend. But it still remains.
2. I also used stitch and small repair but it is changing the shape (all edges converging at a point) and it is causing more free edges .
3. I tried covering the edges but then also number of free edges is increasing.
free_edge_noubga.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Free edges are edges that belong to a single face. They appear in shell (and wire) parts but they shouldn’t occur in case of solid parts.

There are more tools that you can try:
- Geometry Edit —> Edge —> Remove redundant entities
- Geometry Edit —> Face —> Replace (with Extend neighboring faces option turned on)
- Virtual Topology —> Ignore Entities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back