How to remove the Ferro oxide (Fe2O3) deposit inside the piping ?? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffrop

Chemical
Feb 17, 2003
US
Hi everyone,

The piping of our heat exchanger in 316 SS (1") was blocking by the deposit of Fe2O3 (solid) inside the pipe. Does any expert can suggest me a product to remove by dissolve the Ferro oxide (Fe2O3) and clean up the heat exchanger.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Formic acid is commonly applied to clean exchangers, on-line, in-situ. If you can take her down, you can probably get away with using HCl so long as the temperature is not high. It should remove it rather quickly I would think.

iron ions, in general, can be found as precipetated ions within 9 < PH < 1.8 under PH outside this range iron ions became soluble ... I do not know the material that flows through ur HEX but if u can manipulate PH.. this may help...

I have used nitric acid solutions for cleaning 304 & 316 SS HXers, usually 25-45 vol. % since this was readily available (Type VI Passivation solution per QQ-P-35C). This has the advantage of not attacking the metal. Also, after removal of the Fe[sub]2[/sub]O[sub]3[/sub] (acid comes out clean), passivate with clean nitric solution and then rinse the HXer.

HCl will work quite well, but you should use an inhibitor. As Fe[sub]2[/sub]O[sub]3[/sub] dissolves in HCl, the solution becomes more corrosive towards the metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back