Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to rotate one sketch into another sketch 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrightdd

Aerospace
May 28, 2008
US
I have two different sketches next to each other in the same plane (see attached .prt file). I'm trying to rotate SKETCH1 along an arc path 180 degress. And as it travels along that path have it gradually transformed into SKETCH2. Essentially, I want it to be like the solid in that file but rotated instead. I'm somewhat new to UG and so I'm not sure what to do. Thank you for any help or pointers.

Dave

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are 2 options in this file:
[ol][li]layer 2 uses N-sided surfaces[/li]
[li]layer 3 uses through curve mesh surfaces, with additional cross curves derived from your existing solid[/li][/ol]

There are probably other ways to attack it, but the problem area will be on the upper and lower surfaces near the axis of rotation. These 2 solids pass geometry checks, but are by no means pretty (in any sense).

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=fbcd08f0-770c-452f-a514-a6e1c648e786&file=Sketch1_Rotated_into_Sketch2_b.prt
OK, I've created 2 versions of the part file (in NX 6.0). The first is using the curves as is, but as mentioned before, this results in a pretty ugly condition near the implied 'axis of rotation'.

In the second model I modified the two profile sketches to add a small gap surrounding this 'axis of rotation' and then creating a small 'filler' body so as to complete the model. Anyway, I've attached both models (in the attached zip file) so take a look and if you have any questions, just ask.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Hey everyone, thank you very much for your input and ideas, they all work very well for what I am trying to do. Sorry I did forget to mention I was using NX 6, but it looks like most of you are too.

Mmauldin, when I opened the second part you uploaded for some reason it looked exactly like what I uploaded, I'm not sure what happened.

Thanks again everyone for your help!

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back