Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to see Crack pattern in .fil file

Status
Not open for further replies.

free2005

Mechanical
Jul 8, 2006
US
Currently I`m modeling a concrete structure behaviour using ABAQUS/Explicit with brittle cracking model and I don't know how to visualise the crack pattern. The output variable CRACK (crack orientations)can be written only in *.fil files. What to do with these files? How to show the crack patterns like in the ABAQUS Example Problems Manual, 1.1.5 Collapse of a concrete slab. I tried viewer,FEMAP and Hypermesh, but still cannot see the crack output. Please help. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello all,

I wanted to know if it is possible to somehow extract and export the Global Stiffness Matrix 'K' and Right Hand side Vector 'F' (in [K]*{X}={F}) for a model that is setup in ABAQUS?

I need that information because I am looking to use my own fortran code to solve it.

I would greatly appreciate if someone with appropriate knowledge can provide some insight.

To learn how to handle the .fil file see
ABAQUS User's Manual -> 5.1 Accessing the results file

The crack orientations can be output in the .dat file also (according to the ABAQUS documentation), which is a text file.

I think it should be easier to
iterate over the text lines in the .dat file and identify and extract the information you need from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back