Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to set Temperatur Boundary conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

limtom77

Aerospace
Sep 23, 2003
US

I want to do FEA on a part, seeing the stress on it if there is a delta Temperature of 100 deg C.

So let's say I will warm it from 0 C to 100 C.

How do I set this? In the boundary condition setup, there is a space that asks for the amplitude of my Temp. I assume I put 100 here?

But where do I determine the beginning temperature?

I see a space at the bottom of the screen called "additive temperature term". What is this?

Also, if I go into Manage Sets, and look at a temp definition, i now see spaces labeled "reference temperature", "ambient temperature", and "additive term". Do I need to modify this?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The reference temperature is the initial strain free temperature. in your case, if your part is strain free at 0 deg C, and you want to evaluate the part at 100 deg C, then the reference temp. is 0 C and ambiant temp. is 100C. you just need to select the defined temperature set in the boundary condition set. The whole part(e.g. all the nodes) is at the defined ambiant temperature for a linear static analysis. For transiant analysis, you can define the temperature profile as well.
For the additive term, you need not to modify it unless you want to define a a conversion coeffient to the temperature scale. more explaination is available in the I-DEAS help manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back