Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to understand stress region due to the bolt pre-laod? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

it's a rather nice colour picture. it doesn't tell me much about mesh density or stress ... it is just a colour picture.

it looks like you've got a bolt in a slot, so you could hand calc what's happening on the two contact areas. if you need to provide more support to the bolt head, then add a thick washer.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Presumably the area under the bolt head will be under compression whilst the bolt head will be in tension. The area under the bolt head won't break but distort if the stresses are above yield. Try plotting the maximum and minimum principal stresses rather than Von Mises to understand the stress distribution better.

Thank you for answers,

Considering that this region has refined mesh, has complete assemply (including washer) and it's made out on steel (easy to find on the market), in practical I know this region will deform plastically, but I also know it will not break by fatigue or others way. I just know that others regions with less stress will break first, but I can't understand why, once the stress is much less.

There is no washer under the bolt head, that would help to distribute the load on a bigger surface.
The region under the bolt has compression so fatigue will harder occur as the cracks will be closed.

The rest of the structure have very low stress values so it's not a surprise it won't break

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back