Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP 35s for you RPN engineers 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

aggman

Structural
Jun 9, 2003
US
Check out HPs new scientific calculator...

I don't want to get a big discussion about how they don't build them like they used to but I bought one because I smoke through a HP 33s about once a year. I never have had one of the older 32s or any of their bigger graphing calcs. I bought the 33s when I was taking the PE exam and got stuck on the RPN. I just opened the box this morning but it appears that it has a much more "classic" feel to it and the buttons seem much better. It seems to follow the same designs as the little RPN financial calculator they sell. I didn't know if others who use RPN had seen this latest offering so I thought I would post it on here.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't need a calculator, but as soon as I see one of these I'm going to buy it.
I'll keep it in case my main HP (48GX) and its little son (32SII) break.

I'm surprised none of you ubernerds reported how fast you can crank through the Lr equation!

This thread overcame my discipline, so I ordered a 35s this afternoon. I'll have a museum at some point.

HP28S, HP33s, HP48G, HP50g, and Tuesday I'll have a HP35s!

Dear friends,

Has anyone try to self rebuild the battery pack for HP41CV?

I'm still using it in my work for 27 years!!!
And now I have to use external Battery Duracell LR1 MN9100

thanks

joemcgal

1976 HP25, 1981 HP41CV, 1993 HP48G, 1995 HP 42 and .....2007 hp35????

Joemcgal:

If you are looking for repairs to an HP calculator, try
FIX THAT CALC. Know a couple of engineers who have sent their old HP calculators to this place for repairs, and they have been pleased with the results. Unfortunately, the wait to get the calculator back can be quite lengthy. The web site is:

I have an HP35s, and so far I am pleased with it. I like it much better than what they did with the 33s. Although it's a step in the right direction, I don't think it is the equal of the older HP's, but at least we have the big ENTER key and classic color scheme again.

With that said, I'll never give up my HP11c, 32sii, and the mighty 42s. They are built to be durable, and the numbers on the keys are molded into the key, not just painted on. If this means that I'm a geek (my wife says it does), then I'm ok with that.

Nope. Just slightly before my time and I think they're heinously expensive now.

My 35s should be here tomorrow! :)

I'd love to have one of those 1980-82 models like 11c or 15c.

lkjh345

Thanks for the website! Before I plunk down $60 to buy a new 35s I might give these guys a try. I have a 32s and a 32sii that both seem to function intermittantly and need a rest after long hours of calculating. I bought a 33s to take some of the strain off of them but I have never been happy with it. If I could get either or both of 32's working I would be a happy man.

Drat!! My 35s didn't show up today. Should be here tomorrow.

How come nobody's taken me up on the Lr equation challenge? F2-6 of the 13th Ed. Spec. I used a W24x55, but any section should be about the same.

Here's what I got:

Using 33s: 30 sec.
Using 50g: btwn 24 & 25 sec. (yep, got it down)
Using 48G: btwn 21 & 22 sec. (just a minute ago)

I'd be interested to see if any of the other models have superior keyboard layout and feel, allowing faster times.

I'd be VERY interested to see the max speed anybody can muster with a non-RPN calculator.

Yeah, I know I'm weird...

No seriously. I'd guess that I'm probably pretty average. Maybe a little faster than average, but not the Mario Andretti of calculators by any means.

I think somebody around here is bound to be able to beat 20 sec.

On the other hand, my TI-wielding students last year couldn't get it at all, much less in a reasonable timeframe, LOL. Gotta taunt the TI folks into giving it a shot!!

lkjh345, well, for all you guys know I'm not even an engineer and I made it up.

Thanks for taking a shot at it! I guess it would make a difference if you hadn't done that equation in a while or very much. I do a lot of Chapter F manual calcs, verifying programs and making example problems. I use that equation as a benchmark, but perhaps using one equation over and over again isn't a fair way to do that.

joemcgal,

Sorry, I tossed my 2 rechargable battery packs for my 41. Both refused to charge and I didn't know where to take them. I buy Duracells or Radio Shack size N now, and keep 4 spares in my desk.

I will cry when that calculator gives up the ghost. Even HP doesn't make a better one.

Woohoo!! My 35s just arrived!

After 5 min. prying it out of the blister pack, I was able to try it out. I really like the keyboard feel and layout. It's sure tiny compared to my 48G and 50g. I was able to do a 23 sec. calc on my benchmark, which I can only exceed with my 48G that I've been using for 10 years. I think it's going to be a winner.

The screen glare is a bit too much, but the hpmuseum forum folks have a recommendation for that, although I forgot what it is.

Well, after reading all the postings I figured I also tell my storey. I have been using the HP calculators for many many years. More than I would like to admit. I started originally with a TI calculator but that was when I didn’t know better. Soon after I found out about the HP calculators and got me the HP 15 and never looked back at least when TI came out with the TI 59 (I think) that had a card reader. It was obviously much cheaper than a comparable HP so I bought one. A couple of months later, I gave that to a friend and went back to my HP. I bought another HP calculator (HP 32SII) since. I have never had any problems with any of them and am now debating between HP 35S and the HP 50g. I like the look of HP35S and would buy it in a heart beat only if it would take SD cards or could be connected to a PC. HP 50g is just too bulky and keys are not where I like them to be.

kxa, I guess your question comes down to what you want: a scientific calculator or a programmable one.

Part of the 35s' elegance is its size. Adding a USB port and/or SD card slot would be add un-needed bulk. Besides, what could one hope to pipe to/from a PC? It does not have extensive RPL programming capabilities.

The 50g is an unbelievably powerful calculator. I just don't have any reason to program a calculator; that's what my computer is for, but that's just my application. I've written lots of programs for my 48G, but never really used them for anything, with my interpolation program being the only real exception.

I've written a program for my HP48GX - It is for a concrete beam, flexural design per ACI. Basically I enter the fy, f'c, B, b, d, t, and Mu for a T beam (B is the flange width, b is the web width) and it spits out a graphic screen that summarizes the input and gives me the minimum, maximum, and required As for the beam. I also have it do shear stirrup designs, LRFD steel shapes (phi Mn) etc.

I admit, I don't use it everyday, but it does come in handy sometimes.

Here's a snap of it:

QVBPJ-P9100077-1.JPG

Still working with my 41CX and would not be satisfied with anything less.

The 35s battery life appears way too short - 1 hour per day for 9 months - I could use that up in a couple of months... And it has no printer - don't like that.

Even with the accessories, the batteries for the 41CX last over a year under constant use.

I will have to erect a memorial when my 41CX dies - there will never be another.

Mike McCann
McCann Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back