Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP sea water jetting pump 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ken777

Mechanical
Jan 14, 2008
US
Hi, I need to install a sea water jetting pump for a vessel; op. press 80 bar with flow rate 50 m3/hr.
Currently considering piston / plunger type but vendors are unable to quote. Any suitable alternative types? Any recommendd vendors? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ken,
did you say piston pump? plunger pump for water jet propulsion? Those vendors must be very rude people for not giving you options for your jet propulsion. By the way, have you figured out the specification for this pump, all by yourself? For any suitable alternative I would suggest to google "water jet propulsion" and check out for some nice reading...
cheers'
gr2vessels

gr2vessels,
Actually, it's to be installed on a self elevating boat and to be used for jetting the silt at sea bed in order to extract the legs from the sea bed after operation. The operating pressure required is 80 bar to dislodge the silt and break-free the suction effect on the leg. If nozzles blocked, temporary pressure rise to around 100 bar is expected. So I just need a pump to pump a lot of water through a nozzle. Thanks to post your thoughts.

it would be worth while looking at multistage centrifugal pump for this application, sea water tends to be full of abrasive particles, especially if you intend to stir up the silt! This would shorten packing and plunger seal life significantly. Have used HP multistage centrif's on log debarking. Requirement was for HP water and high flow recycled water that contained some silt.

Mark Hutton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back