Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Human resources management in engineering firms 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

sayee1

Materials
Feb 6, 2003
SA
This is a post not related to engineering or engineers but related in a way. Do we need to have engineers with a post graduate education in HRM handling this key function for Engineering firms at least? I have worked in four different functions in four companies, sales, marketing, production and enabling(QC) functions. I have always found the understanding of the personnel handling HRM sadly lacking in many of the requirements leading to an exodus of good engineers from the firms I worked with. Some key issues like appraisal systems, professional education/ certification, can be better handled by engineers with an understanding of that industry and a HRM background! The turnaround of engineers(good ones) from a Company can be a set back to the Company, especially after the mentors have spent sufficient time and efforts in developing that engineer to a level where he/she has just started being useful in his/her work for the Company and then having that engineer leave means starting all over again. This in course of time effects the thinking of the mentor in such a way that he/she starts feeling a problem in continuing to mentor anyone else with the same levels of commitment. Unlike other industries, the true assets of an engineering firm are the employees(Thats just my thought). Reducing exodus of skilled and good engineers is a major task facing many good firms.(Of course we have on the other hand retrenchment by many companies because of the economic considerations of the current day world...). We also had till the year but last, industries like software attracting engineers due to various HR policies leading to better pay/work environments. Thanks and regards
Sayee Prasad R
Ph: 0097143968906
Mob: 00971507682668
End of all knowledge is the attainment of immortality!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

have worked with a couple of HR people that were engineers. They did a better job of recruiting than the non technical people. Instead looking for keywords they understood whether a person had relevant experience or not. Most HR people do not have a degree. I have only met a couple that could do a good job with finding and hiring engineers. Obviously they were highly sought after and valued on the job market.

Retention is not HRs responsibility. Ensuring that the compensation package is competitive and fair is their job. Like everyone has said retention is the managements reasonability. I have stayed with companies with incompetent HR because of good management. It is probably best that management doesn’t make all of the decisions about compensation. If they have worked in one place too long they loose track of the market rates. Training is more of a management issue that HR. Sometimes HR does the paperwork but management decides the budget for training and who will get it.

We have also forgotten the worst part of HRs job. Reducing workforces. Sometimes in engineering departments it is easy to see who should be working somewhere else but most of us don’t really want to tell them that.

ProEpro

ProEpro,
I agree that retention is hardly a HR issue/problem. But then, major turnover is. It is the responsibility of the respective heads of the department to ensure that the employees are satisfied and not frustrated! But I do feel it is a key HR function to monitor the levels of satisfaction/dissatisfaction. That is why there are tools like appraisal systems and KRAs and exit interviews. Just a thought!
Interesting that a discussion on a forum like this helped clear so much of fog on such an issue. Once again, thanks to all of you who spent time replying to this post! Thanks and regards
Sayee Prasad R
Ph: 0097143968906
Mob: 00971507682668
End of all knowledge is the attainment of immortality!

Actually, I'd love to do HR work!!!..I just kinda fell inot enginering and never got out....to be honest I think I have enough "soft skills" to be a great HR in the engineering industry. I am not even interested in getting a P.E or anything. If only worked in a larger company that had a HR department I might put in a request.

I have to say that of all the engineers who make it through school and into industry, I would be willing to bet that at least 20% of them don't want to do what they went to school for. Those people would fit very well into HR and other support departments.
I work in a manufacturing plant, and the engineering staff is very busy and fairly overworked. We get called upon to do work that Purchasing should be doing because they don't understand the technical aspect of what we're buying. We are asked to help the HR Training Manager to write up the training manuals, put on the classes, conduct the electrician/mechanic interviews, and evaluate the technical skills of different college grads and technicians. I have always thought that any engineer who had some soft skills and little drive to work on tough projects or high-risk areas, would be great in this role of Training Manager. The lady in there now constantly uses the phrase "I'm not technical enough"...to get out of doing most of what should fall into that role. I agree that it would be a waste to have an engineer in the roles of Employee Relations and Payroll, but there should be some somewhere in a technical organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back