Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

HVAC books

Status
Not open for further replies.

HVACctrl

Mechanical
Dec 13, 2002
US
Can anyone recommend any worthwhile books and/or handbooks on HVAC system design (covering things like duct design, cooling load considerations, pipe sizing, etc..., etc...)?

I'm just starting to work as an HVAC design engineer for a consulting engineering firm, although I have been in the industry for about 9 years. Until now, I have mostly worked for controls contractors and HVAC equipment manufacturers- mostly on the engineering side of things.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Ed

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

At this stage you should be getting into the Building Physics side of things- you have to know what "makes" heating a cooling loads in the first place so you can understand the proper systems applications and be able to help the Architect reduce the heating and cooling loads of the building in the first place. Check out these books (Google them or check Amazon.com)

"Introduction to Building Physics" by Carl-Eric Hagentoft

"Radiant Heating and Cooling Handbook" by Richard Watson and Kirby Chapman

"Modern Hydronic Heating for Residential and Commercial Buildings" by John Siegenthaler

"Climate Considerations in Building and Urban Design" by Baruch Givoni

"Cradle to Cradle" by William McDonough and Michael Braungart

"Building Services Engineering" by David V. Chadderton

"Passive Low Energy Cooling of Buildings" by Baruch Givoni

Check some of the sources here:

And Google "sustainble low energy building design" every lunch time and read, read, read.

Ed,
You may also want to check out "HVAC Simplified", by Kavanaugh. It provides a good overview of the basics AND comes with a CD containing of functional spreadsheets.

It is available through the ASHRAE website.

My favorate book on basic refrigeration is "Principles of Refrigeration" by Roy J Dossat and Thomas J Horan. The book was originally written by Dosset and I bought it in 1969.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back