Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hvac controls guide 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

orator

Mechanical
Dec 14, 2011
SA
Hi everyone, I am completely dumb when it comes to hvac controls. I am hvac/fire protection engineer but when it comes to controls I feel sick. Please provide some links or study material which can help me start from scratch.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I like to use for my ongoing learning.

It is a site that has online materials for maintaining a PE,PA, etc., with course material, quizzes, etc. for a fee.

But it will allow you to download the course material for free.

All you have to do is register and download the course materials. You have to go through a couple intermediate steps before you get the link to the materials.

It has an entire section on control systems and instrumentation.

Take a look at that.

I learned myself and have done a number of major projects in water treatment plants for the City of Toronto. In fact they want all of their water and wastewater plants done this way. I assume you are talking about HVAC DDC controls? Do you know industrial PLC’s? If you do then you will easily understand HVAC DDC controls. DDC is the HVAC industry answer to industrial manufacturing PLC’s. The best thing to do is to get a Johnson rep in to talk to you about their product and they will guide you through how to set up the architecture of the system. One word of caution, never assume the programmers from Johnson, for example, know control of individual pieces of HVAC equipment. The best thing is for you to write down a narrative of how the equipment is supposed to work. List all the statuses that you want programmed and list all of the alarms you want to see programmed. From there you can determine what you need to have installed to allow the HVAC equipment to talk to the DDC controller. You need to have a better than basic understanding of electricity and electrical circuits and a really good understanding of how HVAC equipment works. If you don’t understand the minute details of control of HVAC equipment don’t assume that the Johnson programmer knows

this is a broad subject and it would be best to understand what kind of controls you want to learn about. If your looking at how DDC controls works with fire protection, like smoke detectors that is easy. Most of the BAS systems of today like, Honeywell, Carrier or Trane are plug and play. Ask for some owner manuals and Installation manuals and you can read through how they operate and what they do. Also, get your hands on some control asbilts and the sequence of operations from office buildings or plants.. That will go along way understanding functionality. Because if you jump into logic and all that at first, you will fry your brain. Once you understand how things work, how it is used and where etc.. you then can dive into logic and design or make changes for a particular application. One last thing, if you don't use it, you loose it.. I have an old Carrier parker system in a building.. when I don't keep up with it, it takes me a bit to remember how things work when I have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back