Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HVAC Design/Drafting small business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airforce2

Mechanical
Dec 30, 2004
AU
Hi,

I run my own small business from home. It is a HVAC design and Drafting business. Our services range from design work, through to actual shop drawings for commercial and industrial projects.

While this is a wonderful scenario and do feel very blessed, it does at times leave me feeling isolated with not having colleagues to talk shop with.

I have a team of 6 sub-contractors that I recruit to handle a lot of my cad work. They are a good bunch of people and do good work. However, as with anyone doing "your" work, you must keep a watchful eye on what is going out to the Client or you can be very embarrassed with things missed etc.

I have always had a steady flow of work since starting my business and lately I see the workload increasing in a steady fashion (which again I am very thankful for and feel most privileged). With work growing and my business reaching some milestones, I am wanting to stop and evaluate a few things to make certain I am going in the right direction. Can anyone offer some advice or share their experience on the following;

1. Balancing time between quoting work, checking other people's work, managing the accounts and actually doing some paid work (designing)? I struggle with the balance on each of these and just don't know how to juggle it.

2. Has anyone managed sub-contractors like in my situation? The people who sub-contract a lot of my cad work for me are very good with attitude and a delight to deal with. One thing I constantly notice is they do not have my level of experience and sometimes I need to spoon feed them a bit on some things. I do my best to relate well with them and never for a second view myself as above them. I struggle to know though if I am managing them as well as I can be. Getting time to check their work is tough.

3. On the HVAC design side of things, does anyone have access to a good quality design and drafting checklist? I am currently working on one for my sub-contractors (not all that easy when I have just had my own checklist in my head).

4. With running your own business, you tend to overwork some. Nature of the beast I guess... I don't mind that too much as long as it isn't excessive and I burn out like I did a few years ago. With just me in my office, I feel like I become a little insular. Does anyone know how to lessen this effect? I have worked in a Firm with 15 other Designers and Engineers before and going to just me has been an adjustment. I do like it though as I am making the decisions, but having a team around you is pretty good.

5. I would like to create an illusion that my company is slightly larger than what it is. In the last few weeks, I created my own domain with a couple of e-mail addresses, fancied up my voice mail system and am looking at a website. I am also considering referring to my sub-contractor team a lot more and giving off to my Clients we have capabilities to handle the workload (which is all true). Is this the way to go?

I may have some more questions, but that is about all I can think of at present. Sorry for the long post. I love what I do, but would like to do it better.

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have my small business running out of a live work loft. Anyone who asks, likes hearing that. We have had some pretty large projects as well. I don't think company size really scares anyone away.

I also overwork constantly which I have always done. Once I get in the groove of a job I just go until I can't keep my eyes open anymore. A way to get out of the house and get some interaction is go to a coffee shop or go do something. I try to force myself to go to the gym or run, or every so often work from Starbucks. Working by the pool is also a nice thing as well. Take some benefits of working for yourself. I have even worked from Disneyland, though the background noise is a bit hard to hide.

The thing is if you always hit the deadlines and know what you are doing over the phone and at meetings, what more does a client want? I am also trying to figure out how much of an impact our website has on potential clients.

B+W Engineering and Design
Los Angeles Civil and Structural Engineering

Thanks for your encouraging post Brandon. It sure is nice to hear another professional's experience.

By the way, your website is very well done and made me take notice.

Thanks.

On your #3, I spent a lot of time a few years coming up with a 'drawing check list' for mechanical parts/ASME Y14.100 drawings. It didn't really end up going far, sure you can list things like 'ensure all required dimensions are given' etc. but to come up with anything approaching a comprehensive checklist ends up with a long document, at least some items of which aren't always relevant etc.

Maybe for your type of work, or the type of errors you're seeing it will be easier, but for us it didn't' really go anywhere.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

I know some people that are successful at dividing their day into blocks to accomplish different tasks such as accounting, emailing, and design. This could break down to the first half of the day being divided into accounts management and quoting, with the last half of the day reserved for checking and design work. This way you could start the day knowing where you need to be and the last half making sure you get there.

One thing I constantly notice is they do not have my level of experience and sometimes I need to spoon feed them a bit on some things.
There must be one of your contractors that is your "go to" person. I would treat them as an apprentice, and spend more of your focus training that one contractor. In turn, that contractor could take up some of the duties of checking the other contractor's work. Hopefully his billed time is less than the value of your time.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of these Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back