Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HVAC Design Software 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltrammell

Mechanical
Aug 14, 2015
US
3 Questions:

1. What is the most popular HVAC design software for doing heating/cooling load calculations on the market today?

2. What do people like about it?

3. I know that the software I am about to describe may not exist, but if you like a software product that does some of these things but not all, please share what it is, what it does, and what you like about it. I am looking for an HVAC design software product that:
a. is easy to use
b. allows pdf and cad drawings to be imported and used to design an HVAC system
c. allows the designer to place units and GRD's on building plans, and automatically sizes and draws an editable duct system, refrigerant piping system, natural gas piping system, and hydronic system as needed, based on design inputs
d. either allows a complete HVAC drawing set to be created in the software itself or has a reliable transferability of designs to AutoCAD where notes, title blocks, etc. can be added
e. does heating and cooling load calculations, accounting for latent and sensible heat, giving the heating and cooling energy rates required from equipment
f. specifies insulation options that will allow for proper operation of system
g. calculates outside air ventilation requirements based on applicable codes/standards/occupancy classifications and accounts for the outside air draw in the heating and cooling calculations
h. calculates exhaust requirements based on design inputs

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Best software can do everything you have mentioned is a combination of your HVAC handbook, paper, and pencil.

This is just whistling in the wind.

You want this, hire a competent Engineer.

Drazen, do you like cymap?

Is it easy to use?

Thanks to all.

it's very easy to use if you are familiar with engineering concepts, no software will teach you engineering, but some are user-friendly in terms of computer literacy.

1) Trane Trace.
My preference is Carrier HAP, I like the UI and report formats better. I'm not familiar with Drazen's Cymap.
2) I believe it's cheaper and it has a reputation.
3) Y.O.U.

Try Revit MEP. You can design and run analysis. It is a comprehensive software, calculating loads, duct and pipe designs, equipment selection, simultaneously building drawings, Equipment Schedules, Bill of Quantities, etc. It is also helps in coordination with other services.

irfanbeig36: do you use Revit to determine the load for actual design? i tried a few times to compare an actual load calc in Trace, and concluded "there is a lot of room for improvement". they have to do a lot to make the results abit more accurate and useful for starters, it can't account for diversity, ERV etc. Same for the energy simulation portion, which doesn't really offer many HVAC options. At most it could be used for planning phase or schematic design.

I agree with irfanbaig36, base on some of item 3 requirements by itrammell - Revit MEP is the best software. Here you'll learn 3D drawings wherein the load calculation for HVAC (electrical and plumbing as well) is integrated which is based on ASHRAE standards. Good thing with Revit MEP now, many centers offer training for this. And for sure in the future, REVIT will totally replace AutoCAD.
[starofdavid]

are you guys really using Revit to calculate the load for your projects and not other software? I use Revit daily and it is great for up to duct/pipe. but load and energy simulation? Yes it can do that, but the results are questionable.

I have enjoyed both HAP and EQUEST with good results.

Best to you,

Goober Dave

Haven't see the forum policies? Do so now: Forum Policies

I always use HAP but when I see how the Energy Pro works, I prefer it now.
[starofdavid]

HVAC & Prayers
Commit and you’ll succeed.

EnergyProfessional:Infact I find it more accurate when customized solution is required. No software gives you so much flexibility than Revit.

For me, prefer to use my own excel template to calculate the airflow, transmission heat gain. After that I would use ASHRAE Psychometric analysis CD Version to calculate the cooling and heating capacity

Irfan

You are getting dangerous with your recommendations of using Revit for Load calcs.
I have been using Trace since 1988 and have yet to master the software, so many things keep changing, from LCC, alternates, radiant heat, UFAD, ASHRAE 90.1 compliance, 62.1 built-in numbers, equipment manufacturers electrical data built-in the software, etc... after 30 years, Trace has still plenty of bugs that need fixing.
And you are telling us that this Revit thing is equivalent to Trace or HAP? Common, be serious.
Trace and HAP give you Engineering checks with outputs that give you indication if your room has humidity problems or not, detailed output allowing you to locate input errors, and on and on.

Revit load calc is for architects, not for engineers.

We use HAP and eQuest with good results. We also use Revit but don't recommend it for load analysis.

Revit is weak on the system level. However, I do use the export gbXML feature for HAP and Trace to get wall / window / area data. Even that is sketchy and requires double checking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back