HVAC Test and Commissioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manu68

Mechanical
Nov 18, 2013
IN

Hi Experts,

May I know the HVAC commissioning tests that are mandatory. Are there any specific templates available for these tests.
Is this tests to be witnessed by ASHRAE certified Test personnel.

Are there any specific conditions and test requirements that are needed for this test for commissioning.

Are these tests separately done for the air side and water side of HVAC.

Kindly share your valuable information.

Thanks for your time.

Best regards,
Manu

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Most codes will require some token balancing etc. But there is no real enforcement. I think technically the PE has to sign of the system was installed accordingly.

But actual testing and quality Management only gets done at owner's choice, not legal requirement. Unfortunately.

Herr
Commissioning (Cx) has worked it's way into the code. the new International green construction code has a chapter 9 for Cx. Some states have already adopted it.
Cx is required by ASHRAE 90.1 - 6.7.2.4 for controls and for areas over 50,000 SF - so if ASHRAE90.1

systems to be commissioned include HVAC water and air side, Plumbing systems, life safety systems, electrical systems and special systems such as automatic blinds, irrigation systems, grey water systems, etc.. Check the LEED handbook, it will tell you the requirements for a LEED project.
LEED Version 4 (in 2014 I hear) is moving towards requiring Exterior Enclosure Commissioning in addition to above.

You do need a Cx Plan and Cx specs (can be found in your set of Masterspecs). You need to hire a Cx Authority (CxA) who will provide the testing procedures and forms, but systems to be commissioned and the original Cx Plan (updated by the CxA) are the responsibility of the designer.

heuhhhh - Commissioning is a trade nowadays Manu, it starts at the planning stages, definitely during design.

cry222: I wasn't aware this is adopted by states... But hope in practice this gets handled better than LEED. As long as LEED allows the AE to hire CxA (or even allow AE to be CxA in some cases) this all is moot.

Herr

Looks like you're biased and in favor of A/E firms. A/E firms are not necessarily the best CxA out there. Big conflict of interest when they do the Cx. They cover for their own design mistakes and hide them from the owner, i.e when they actually do find their own design mistakes, they typically find out after the fact, you know, the one that comes with a change order.
Don't get me wrong, there are A/E firms that can do good Cx, but in general, it is not their bread and butter practice.

The CxA should be a third party and A/E Cx should be limited to very small projects as allowed by LEED.

try the Building Cx Association.

this is what I said, as long as LEED allows CxA to be hired by AE (or even let the AE do it) it is all moot.

yes working and fixing up LEED platinum buildings made me biased against LEED. I'm all for commissioning and testing, it should be mandatory. but the reality is it jut happens on paper. All the building still get their LEEd plaque, though.

And hence, the conflict exists for us in the commissioning field. There are mandates for sign-offs by a third party, then there are third parties that really can see the holes between design/spec and installation and control who are really effective.

I pledge allegiance to the latter, and try to do so while not hurting the pride of the good engineers, mechanical contractors, and controls personnel that make this world work…

Strongly believe in the Cx process but it’s GOT to be by experienced personnel without ulterior motives!

Cry22 is right. But Manu68 if you are not going for any competition you dont have to bother it just ask the contractor to do air water balancing and get those reports they will help you out for managing your system if you are using building management system then hire any CxA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back