Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hydro-static Tests Need a faster way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jness

Mechanical
May 7, 2018
US
Hi All,

My company manufactures 2ft x 4ft all the way up to 3ft x 8ft ASME CODE pressure vessels. We manufacture about 15 a week and currently are spending hours just filling and pressure testing these. Theres got to be a faster way to do this.

Does anyone have a good set up that they could share picture?

Does anyone know of a place where I can purchase a system to fill and drain pressure vessels very quickly?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You are limited by the largest opening in the vessel. I suggest you fill using low pressure high volume water. Once filled increase pressure to Hydro pressure with low volume high pressure water. We use a pressure washer pump for this.

Jness said:
There's got to be a faster way to do this

Well if you could actually describe what your current method is, line sizes, flowrates, durations etc, then we might be able to provide some more detailed ideas rather than the general posts so far.

Where are you identifying the bottlenecks / things that take a long time?

Filling rates?
Pressurisation?
Inspection of the vessel?
Emptying?
Drying?

What are your limitations (size / area, water flow, disposal, cost of water)

All these things make a difference which is why no one solution fits all issues.

Pipe mills test hundreds of pipes a day and have water spraying everywhere and the test lasts 10 seconds or so. Some place only test one vessel a month. different systems.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back