Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HYDROGEN NANOBUBBLES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosquito2023

Industrial
Jan 15, 2023
FR
Hi, I am testing different water treatment innovations for plant growth and plant health.
I asked this question to various people: what would be a good way to inject nanobubbles of molecular hydrogen in water ? some people first told me hydrogen gas would be too instable.. other told me water electrolysis can generate nanobubbles of hydrogen. Other told me: just use the a wet cell, collect the gas, and use a nanobubble generator: so I wrote to several manufacturers of nanobubbles: many claim to have the smallest, most stable nanobubbles ( it is said that under 10 nm they can be stable). But when I ask " could I use molecular hydrogen gas in a nanobubble generator, the responses are vague " we never tried.." etc. Would any body have a suggestion on one equipment that would produce hydrogen nanobubbles in water ? thanks if somebody have "experience" in this domain, and not just "judgements": I want to clarify if there is any sense to dig into such solution.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You might feel difficult to find an equipment manufacturer that will be at ease with hidrigen nanobubbles production as it is an highly flammable gas and the safeties that you need to put in place to handle it would be quite strict or else you could go "Hindenburg"...

If you have bubbles, they will be H2.
And the other issue is that H2 is such a small molecule, with low viscosity that a membrane that allows 1l/min (at some pressure) of N2 will pass many times that amount of Hs at the same pressure.
You can look up the LFE and LEL for H2, it isn't that hard to handle as long as you are well aware and use flammable gas detectors in the area.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

In Japan, you have hundreds of companies selling products with hydrogen nanobubbles: they dont explode. You have technologies to measure the amount of nanobubbles. The idea is: yes, just hydrogen rich water are microbubbles that eventually pop , release the gas, and create a risk: but have you heard of "stable nanobubbles" that means, that remains in the water: I read several serious scientific studies that explains that, under a certain size of nanobubble, they will not find the energy to pop : therefore , they are transported into the cells and the mitochondria. My question is more regarding the process of cavitating water with hydrogen gas as it is produced (not from a stored container). For the Edinburg syndrom, the volume used was bigger than my cubic centimeters where hydrogen gas would be nanobubbles ( by ultrasounds or any other mean of cavitation).

Thank you BIMR, I checked the full text paper on the DAF System: my understanding is they use a mixer, they pressurize, and use the DAF SYstem for air flottation: my concern is it is scaled for large water treatment plants: who could reduce this system to my needs ? the idea is excellent, but practically, I dont see how to move on: I doubt Veolia, Suez or Degrement will even respond to my mails.
DO you know if from this technology they have developped smaller applications ? In their study, they made a pilot of 21 liters, but it is a pilot.. they will not sell or manufacture for me such pilot.
Do you have an idea on how to proceed ? Also, to feed it with pure hydrogen would be totally experimental: I am wandering if it would give similar results as sonification, cavitation, ceramics etc..

EdStainless, I heard the limit is about 4%, this is why most hydrogen gas inhaling machines run from 2% to 2.5 %, not more. BUt in my case, I am in instant injecting of the gas in a running water, not in stored container: the water runs directly to the dip irrigation systems (roots).

In application of the DAF unit, bench top scale units are used to demonstrate the DAF process. There are plenty of smaller copycat firms that make DAF units. Enquire where you can purchase a bench top apparatus. Cole Farmer makes one.

The key is the capacity of the saturation pressure vessel. The saturation vessel is typically 3 to 7 atmospheres.

The key aspect of getting the correct bubble size is the valve characteristics.

tab_DAF_app_fnmibf.png

We used to use oxygen saturated water in a process.
We started by de-gassing the water.
Since you are not actually dissolving the hydrogen in the water this may not be needed.
Initially we were using ultrasonic for bubble dispersion.
It worked well but took power to run.
We eventually found a membrane with the correct hole size to give us the desired results.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back