Hydrostatic test pressure assessment 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

FIF99

Materials
Jul 20, 2005
NL
Hi,

At our office we don't have the design code BS-8010 part 1 (which seems to be superseeded now). However, I'm looking for the formula to assess the hydrostatic test pressure of piping systems.
Anybody who can give me the formula, or refer me to it?
Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
FKE

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hydrostatic testing is done at 1.5 times the design pressure. If you are going to do a in field hydro, make sure you can isolate that pipe spool.

ticku, Check your code first. BS-8010 was the Brit pipeline code, so I would really be surprized if tests are conducted at 1.5 X. Usually pipeline hydrostatic tests have different test pressure factors depending on the location and type of facility being tested.

BigInch[worm]-born in the trenches.

Hi,

Thank you all for your input. So far I have concluded that ticku is indeed correct. Hydrotest pressure is 1,5 * design pressure.
The code is now replaced by BS-EN 14161, however, the superseded BS-8010 prt.1 is still valid for our project.

Best regards.
FKE

While I'm not sure how all "codes" come down on this particular issue, I think it should be remembered some piping systems could conceivably be composed of quite complex mixes of pipes, fittings, valves, outlets, couplings, other devices, well as all manner of joints, gasketing systems for joints, welding schemes, anchorages and restraints involving these items etc. When it comes to applying a test or operating/transient pressure scenario to a particular piping reach, it can be argued that the weakest item/aspect controls (analogous perhaps to the old adage, "A chain is no stronger than its weakest link"). It would appear the best time to think about all this is up front when same are specified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back