Hydrotesting of centrifugal pump. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abhi1712

Chemical
Nov 24, 2010
US
Hello Everybody,

I am associated with new pump manufacturer. For me, it is understood that hydrotesting is required to generate (centrifugal) Pump curve and NPSHR calculation. Will you please tell me which factors should be consider during hydrotesting of pump? like tests the pump with water at different capacities,....and seeking guidance about plotting Pump curve, System Curve, BEP from Hydrotest of pump....

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Would a 5 minute lesson be sufficient?

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

Alternatively a search of google might be as good place to start.Pretty easy to do, just type in testing of centrifugal pumps.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

Be careful with your terminology - to many manufacturers, 'hydrotesting' refers to hydrostatic testing to verify the allowable working pressure of the pressure-containing components.

You are referring to 'performance testing'.

Obivously, you will want to measure and record the suction and discharge pressures, liquid temperature and properties, rotating speed, and motor loads to generate a proper performance curve.
There are different ways to verify NPSHr, doing a google search will find some of them.

performance testing <> hydrotesting

Let your acquaintances be many, but your advisors one in a thousand’ ... Book of Ecclesiasticus

There are many pump related organisations that run pump fundamental courses. Even pump manufacturers can do it. I train people at the firm I work for now I am semi retired. Have a look at BPMA web site if you are in Europe. They should be able to assist.

waterpipe, does ISO 9906 correspond to the Hydraulic Institute Standards, are are they completely separate. I've run across HI standards much more than ISO 9906 but that might just be my location(USA).

Hi,
I have my HI hard copy in the office and I'm on site at the moment. I'll be back in 2-3 weeks and take a look to answer your question.
For the moment I can recall that 2 grades are defined in ISO 9906, grade 1 & 2 where grade 1 has restricted tolerances (+-4.5% for flow, +-3 for head & -3 for efficiency) for H & Q. NPSH is based on NPSH3 and different uncertainties are defined in percentage. I hope that this would give a glue for your comparison.

Good luck.

ISO 9906 is similar to HI pump testing standard in the same way as
IEC is to NEMA for the electric motor standard.

ISO 9906 is for rotodynamic ( centrifugal, mixed flow and axial flow) pumps.

While HI has different sub-standards for different types of pumps.

ISO and IEC are used by European manufacturers and user.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back