I don't want to work overtime! 27

Status
Not open for further replies.

warelephent

Structural
Jan 13, 2007
US
hi all,

I'm in the process of finding a new job so I'm interviewing with some really interesting companies. I'm 23 years old and I'm trying to work in Raleigh, NC. Everything is going well so far and some of the smaller firms look like great opportunities to learn alot about structural engineering. There is only one problem with all of this: it seems to be industry standard that structural engineers work excessive overtime. These small firms mention that they expect 50 hrs/wk from me minimum.

I don't want to work more than 40 and I don't want the extra money. I may consider working at one of these firms anyway just because it seems so much better than some other civil jobs, but I really don't enjoy working that much and I've found that a couple of hours a day can really make a big difference with quality of life. I'm still deciding if this will cause me to turn down a job, but it seems that if I wanted to work ridiculous hours then I would go for a PhD. 50+ is just too much especially considering I'll be sitting in front of that great big computer screen for every one of those hours. I feel strongly about keeping it at 40, and I know if I agree to 50 then I could easily be looking at 60 once I start working there.

So this is the problem, and I'm sure that you-all know it even better than I do. The twist is that I havn't started working anywhere yet and so I'm still free to decide. My question is:

How outlandish would it be to try to negotiate 40 or maybe 45 hrs/wk as a condition of acceptance of an offer from a company that has mentioned that a typical workweek is 50+.

I don't care about the risk of losing the offer if there's a chance they might consider it. Also remember that its paid overtime that I'm turning down.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

-G

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hmmm middle aged engineers are that expendable? That hasn't been my experience, usually when there's a slow down us youngsters get the boot.
Just in case I better start working on that retirement plan now, freedom 45 here I come, and living the rest of my life in a country where $1000/month is a fortune.

WJSD, been there done that! Extra effort wasn't my cup of tea either!!!

I have a government job now, it is the second public job of my career. I usually end up with 45-50 hours per week. I'm salaried, so I don't get paid for them. Many of the people who I know who work for government do work more than 40.
I get to interview occasionally and I'll admit, I'd be hesitant to hire someone who wanted to negotiate the number of hours that they work. That would make me worry about their dedication to the job. I don't have time to deal with someone who isn't willing to pull their weight. Now, if the job can be done in 40 - great! But it isn't fair that someone else has to work 60 hours so someone else can put in 40 when a deadline is approaching.

Good luck with the job hunt!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back