Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

I think I've had it... 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

OliverJDragon

Structural
Mar 29, 2010
US
I know what you will say in the end, so I guess I'm just writing to congeal my own thoughts.

For those who have not made a point of memorizing my saga, it goes something like this:
1. Sick of old job. Look for new job.
2. Entertain various possibilities. One floats to the top.
3. Before I even started, there was a reorganization that had sort of a demoting effect on me. The reorg itself was a good idea; how it was handled was not.
4. The expectation for my role changed. Not in a direction I disagree with, but not in a direction I like.

So, it turns out #3 was indeed a symptom of deeper dysfunction. So was #4, for that matter.

One of the other possibilities I was entertaining in #2, I could see similar dysfunction from the outside. When I went with my current company, I thought to myself, "At least I wouldn't have to deal with that weirdness." WRONG.

Just like that other company, and other companies in my industry, the company's going through a miserable transition from a small business to a corporate model. The people at the very top, who have ruled the roost for years through emotion and micromanagement and sabotage, are being dragged through this kicking and screaming by the Distant Corporate Overlords. Of course, they never kick and scream in public. In public they pay lip service to all the right stuff, and then they turn around and act otherwise.

Some of the crap I just watch from the sidelines, like how they try to undermine my boss (the one who was inserted between me and the CEO in #3 above). Some of the crap affects me, like how the CEO still stoops to micromanagement, assigning my predecessor (who is still hanging around and who shares all the worst traits of the Old Guard) to do parts of my job without informing me.

There are signs of progress. My boss is a sign of progress. A couple of new department heads are signs of progress. And there are enough of us in the New Guard committed to change that I think it will happen--eventually. Whether I last that long is another question.

But then there are problems that are related to and yet separate from the overall issue of bad behavior from above.

One is me and my job function. I described some of this in an earlier post (maybe toward the end of "Honeymoon is over"). In a move toward the New Way, they went looking for a systems expert rather than a subject matter expert. Then they found out I was on the market, and they hired me because of my subject matter expertise. Stupid me, I thought they hired me because they wanted what I had to offer, and they'd changed their minds about the systems aspect. And maybe they did, and maybe their minds would have stayed changed, except along came my boss expecting the New Way, and I wasn't vetted for the ability to do that, and all my fantastic subject matter expertise that I've spent a third of my life building is no more than a parlor trick.

And this has led to a bad relationship between me and my boss. I don't automatically fall into the patterns he expects, which irritates him, and he's always having to coach me to do things, which irritates him, and because I see why he wants what he wants out of me, I haven't stood up to him and said screw you, I'm not going to do that, I'm going to do this other thing I was originally hired for. What's the point? It's not what he wants and I see the business sense in what he wants.

But just sucking it up and taking it has made me weak in his eyes. So now I'm kind of a target. He comes at me in meetings with a tone and manner that he does not use with others who might also be underperforming. He comes at me for problems in my area of responsibility (across multiple facilities) while not addressing any of those complaints to the people in charge of those facilities, who are really the ones with the power to make things happen. He has said, in private, that I have indirect authority over those facility managers, but has done nothing in public to reinforce my authority, and in general treats me like someone who does not have and does not deserve authority, until it's time to berate me for failing to assert that authority and achieve something. And because he's made up his mind, he chooses to filter various things he hears to fit a pattern unfavorable to me. I've done enough back-checking to see where he has spun something neutral into something negative.

And then just as I decide it's hopeless and I need to go somewhere else before they fire me, he goes through a phase of being rational and respectful and something positive happens like one of the new directors tells me that I was on the list of people he was told to build a relationship with (as opposed the people he was told not to bother with).

I've thought about talking this over with the boss, but I never know whether I'll get Jeckyll or Hyde, and if it's Hyde, there's no point and very likely some risk. I actually had an appointment to talk to him about this, and then things came up, etc., etc. He knew that I was dissatisfied about something, but that's as far as it got.

So I may or may not survive the boss. I'm expected to get things moving at the speed of policy, but since the policies need to come from the facility managers and my authority over them has not been reinforced or even stated, my speed is instead that of a persuasion campaign. And there are other things I need that are buried within the fortresses of even more dysfunctional departments, but I'm responsible for those as well. So if he wanted to claim that I'm failing to deliver, he could make a case for it. From one week to the next, I can't tell where I stand. Sometimes he acknowledges that I inherited an insane situation, and sometimes it's just about what I have failed to achieve, no excuses.

I'm sure he's getting the same treatment from higher levels, but that's no excuse.

I started looking for a new job a couple months ago when my relationship with my boss was at an all-time low and I was starting to have trouble with depression. But then things got better, and I got better.

But now the micromanagement and sabotage from the Old Guard are back. I'm not the only target, but I'm one of them, and with a completely supportive immediate supervisor I'm sure I could survive it, but with my boss iffy already, I don't know that I can. So this weekend was another weekend of updating the resume and cruising the jobs websites.

Here's what's keeping me here:

1. I hate looking for jobs. And I hate major life change.
2. I believe that at some point all this will pass and the place will not suck. (Will I ever grow to like my revised job duties? I don't know. But maybe I can get secure enough to make some different arrangement where I get to concentrate on what I do well and they hire someone else to do what I'm not very good at.)
#2 justifies #1.
3. The rest of my industry is probably just as screwy. My best prospect outside of this company is another company (one of those I looked at last year) that I know for a fact is at least as screwy in many of the same ways. And yet I like my industry. I like the product. I don't want to walk away from it.
4. Jobs for exactly what I do are hard to come by. I dug myself a very cozy niche in my previous job, and there aren't lots and lots of positions in this category. I could branch out, but it's hard to compete with people already working in whatever new branch that would be. What this means is it is all up to personal networking; I would never survive a keyword search of a resume submitted online.
4a. I was secure enough in my old job that I could search for a new job almost openly, spreading the word, handing out "civilian" business cards, etc. With this job, it has to be very, very confidential. This really limits the speed and effectiveness of my networking.
4b. Because I'm busier and also less secure, the networking opportunities aren't as plentiful. The more insecure I get, the less secure I am about gallivanting off to a conference or other meeting where I can talk to people privately face-to-face.

For years I've thought about going back to grad school. It would certainly be a convenient way to turn tail and run. But the timing is exactly wrong--I'd be looking at September 2012, and that is a LONG way off. I don't know that the program I want does mid-year admissions, and if they do, they surely don't hand out funding midyear. All that gets allocated very early on.

So...I am sorely tempted to try to wait it out. The Distant Corporate Overlords won't tolerate the worst of the current dysfunction indefinitely. The question is whether I can survive till then.

If I want to be serious about looking for another position, the only way to do it effectively (rather than waiting months to see people at meetings) is to "steal" an hour a day (out of an 11-hour day) to spend on the phone with people from my past life, seeing what else might be out there. But I really hate that. What do I do, mutter in my office? Skulk in my car?

This sucks.

I know, I know, at least I have a job.

OJD

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Brief update: The world did not end on July 27. I am following (part of) the advice given in the very first response in this thread--sticking it out but keeping my eyes open. I've reached out to two potential "good fit" situations; haven't heard much back. Conference/committee season is starting up; if I'm not too far in the doghouse to be let off my chain, that's more networking opportunities as well.

Haven't met with my boss in over a week, which means that I'm actually feeling pretty good about myself and the job I'm doing and what I'm accomplishing. I'm supposed to talk to him tomorrow and I'm sure I'll get knocked back down again. (Yeah, great attitude there.)

But even during the phase when I'm feeling good, I have to remind myself not to trust that. Every time I say, "It's not so bad, I should just stick it out," something else happens to remind me this place is fubar. It's so easy to let inertia rule and find excuses not to move on. One of the main Pillars of Evil is about to be replaced in a matter of weeks, and the Dominoes of Evil will fall, and I could just about convince myself it might just work. But there's still me and my bad fit with my position and my bad relationship with my boss.

How messed up is that, that I have to fight against positive attitude because it interferes with my attempt at job search?

OJD

A couple of helpful concepts/philosophies:
Hope for the best, expect (and prepare for) the worst.
Anticipating all the things that can go wrong isn't being negative. It is a positive. It means you can prepare and not be caught out.
It is often useful to include people in a team who can see all the things that can go wrong. Too many enthusiasts can result in some nasty surprises when things glossed over rise up to bite you.
Negative people have value (just as even paranoids can have enemies).

The Serenity Prayer:(the first part):
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.

{1]There is no such thing as a free lunch. It it sounds to good to be true, it is too good to be true.[/i]

So, "How messed up is that...." not messed up at all. Its common sense. Part of staying sane.

JMW

Yeah, well, never mind that last update. They eliminated my position. "Budget cuts".

The punchline? My predecessor is *still* floating around there somewhere doing nobody's really sure what.

I'm uneasy about the temporary loss of income, but if this is what it takes to get me out of there, so be it. I've been preparing for this for weeks.

OJD

Something very similar has happened to me and more than once. You'll rebound and find something much better. Life does go on and there is a lot of life outside of Corporate America. This could be a fresh start for you.

It is an adjustment to no income but you'll figure it all out and do OK. In fact, you may do better than OK. Hang in there and good luck!

First lesson - its a game

second lesson - stop trying to win just play

third lesson - rules are negotiable

forth lesson - you can stop and go home when you want

fifth lesson - the reward can be huge - but it comes at a price

sixth lesson - some people hate playing games when they start to slip - kindergarten it was obvious as those individuals burst into tears and run away, wouldnt it be good if they still did that?

seventh lesson - eng-forum is your friend its there and it always offers words of advice and provides a network of like minded individuals

ninth lesson - BALANCE ! this is so important work should never take over your life you always have to ensure that you have a life and that work doesnt impinge on that in anyway unhealthy.

tenth lesson - He who dies with the most money / toys / exwifes still dies..... No second runs and few second chances never bite any hand that feeds you and never ever let work upset you.

eleventh lesson - Bosses cant be trusted. No matter how nice they seem, they work to different programs and like all humans they work to keep it simple for them so they will shit on you from time to time, so back to the play the game lesson. take it and work smarter ewnsure that your teflon and it dont stick. Just gather it up and wait as once it solidifies you can throw it back without it sticking and do a fair bit of damage !

MonkeyDog... Love it!

JMW & And Friends of Bill W...
Hum this over and over until you chill or go postal:
"Grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference."
OLD BUT GOOD!

Seen Office Space? Rent the movie... Take the copier out... two friends... play some hard-core rap music(or HARD Rock)and beat thing to a pulp. If that doesn't work, move up to something more $$. Eventually you will feel better. I destroyed my computer, garage door opener, and stereo receiver all in 1/2 hour and felt euphoric... for ~ 1 hour.

Bye the way, I didn't read anything you wrote... didn't have too. We will always have problems. LOOK AT THE GOOD IN LIFE. YOU COULD BE STUCK INSIDE A TENT AT OCCUPY WALL STREET FOR AN ENTIRE NIGHT WITH A REAL "PATRIOT".

More so than some others, anyway.

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back