Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I was wondering if anyone has had e

Status
Not open for further replies.

Profaic

Specifier/Regulator
May 14, 2003
ZA
I was wondering if anyone has had experience with scrubbing Phosphorus Pentoxide fumes from an air stream at elevated temperatures.

I am designing a system where the incoming air is approximately 1100 deg C. By using an air blead as well as evaporative cooling (droplet size of water approx 50 micron) in a Quench Chamber, I estimate that the temperature will drop to around 100 deg C.

The next 2 stages will be a venturi scrubber followed by a zone nozzle polishing scrubber.

The total residence time that particles of Phosphorus Pentoxide (it is in fact a hygroscopicdry solid) will come in contact with water from start to finish will be 9 seconds.

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,

Profaic

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Profaic:
since these fumes are typically very small, the venturi may need a considerable pressure drop to do the job. If the loading is high, the venturi could still be an acceptable choice to take the first cut. For low-energy polishing of very fine particulate, consider a wet electrostatic precipitator.

PeterAB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back