Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBC Wind Load on a SQUARE Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmithJ

Structural
Apr 11, 2003
US
Hello All,

I am in the process of designing an 80' X 80' Pre-Fabricated Metal Building in Florida. I was speaking with the Architect today and he mentioned that when dealing with wind loading in a square building, the code allows the elimination of the increased wind loading at the end zones and I was supposed to just use the normal interior zone wind loading for the end frames.

I informed him that I was unaware of such a requirement and would look into it.I have looked at the IBC 2000, ASCE 7-98 and FBC 2001 building codes but can not find any such reference to a squre building and the elimination of end zone loading.

If anyone is aware of this requirement, I would appreciate if they could verify this requirement for me. Also, could they please provide any code reference to support their argument or is this just a form of industry practice?.

Thanks,
JS.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am not aware of this either. I would be interested in seeing where the Architect obtained this info.

Looking in the ASCE 7-98 pg 42-44. The length in not used to obtain the GCp. You use the Effective Wind Area. I did not see any mention of that anomaly. I do not see how a 80'x75' or 80'x85' building would require endzone loading while a 80'x80' would not. I am under the impression that the endzone is loaded differently because of the air coming by the corner and off the roof creates a greater suction than in the middle of the building that only has air off the roof.

What code is specified for the project? I am not familiar with Florida of if they have a local code that might address this.

The corner wind zones will still have to be considered on this square building. The Florida Building Code, ASCE or IBC do not have any allowable reductions.
When the wind load is directed at the building and can't go through the building the air must go around. Therefore, the corner will create higher corner negative wind loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back