Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ICC - Canada - Insulated Metal Panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

TORCHMAN

Structural
Sep 8, 2023
CA
I have recently been asked by a company if I would like to be the engineer of an American system that they are looking to be the distributor for here in Canada. The system is made up of cold rolled aluminum extrusions and insulated metal panel roof.

For the metal panel roof, since I have never before engineered one, they have an ICC design - i.e. they tested the product and have design tables based on spans, loads thickness of panel. It has not been my experience that we use ICC here in Canada so I am not sure if I am comfortable using these design tables. I am starting out my research and I am wondering what your take is on using ICC report for design.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would think they need CCMC type approval or you would need to evaluate the technical literature they have and either show or certify compliance with the applicable building code requirement in that AHJ. From the CMCC's website:

"Alternative solution submissions typically require technical evidence that demonstrates that a product will provide at least the same level of performance required by an acceptable solution, based on the objectives and functional statements associated with the relevant code provisions. These submissions typically take the form of:

[ul]
[li]an engineering review (including supporting evidence such as test data),[/li]
[li]a design professional's opinion (in which case the design professional takes responsibility for the compliance), or[/li]
[li]a CCMC code compliance assessment"[/li]
[/ul]

Thanks STpipe.

That is a great direction. I did not know that Canada has its own code compliance assessment service by our federal government, though it is not surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back