Icebreakers 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChemFemme

Chemical
Jul 15, 2005
US
All,

Our human resources manager, in his infinate wisdom, has decided that there is a lack of synergy in our technical group and is planning a team building day. He has asked for suggestions for games or icebreakers to focus on listening, team work, and "getting to know each other outside of work". Have any of you been to these type of outings? What is your opinion on this, and/or have you participated in any helpful or, dare I say, entertaining icebreakers???

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Joining a softball league is fun. Every friday we have a game, and every monday through friday it gives us a common "bitch", which is really the best way to build synergy.

No matter who it is at the water cooler:
"Man, if we had just stopped them in the 3rd inning."
"Yeah, its ok. When playoffs show up, we'll be ready."

Hii...I have some ideas..I have faced these actions at a Team building training in Brazil..

a) Ask to each member of you team to write something in a peace o paper...one personal information..one thing that only the person know...so next step collect all peace of papers and mixed...ask to each member take one and read..and asked ot your team to guess who is the person? You´re gonna have a surprise how your team don´t know one each other...at the end you already help the sinergy!!

Just a example...try!!

At my last job we folded our softball team. It was ruining our safety record.

-The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!

My company had the annual summer picnic yesterday. Not too bad this time, but our Safety and Risk management director was worried about injuries during the limbo competition.

Going on the annual company golf outing today. All groups: sales, engineers, HR, management... all of us. Teams are all mixed up and we have a scramble. Alcohol is involved, so let the mixing and icebreaking begin!

we don't have manager from 4 months and in our team we are two members and we don't know what is other person doing ! It sucks ! I have initiated sharing losts of things updating him as if he is my boss but nothing works ! We just can't work out ! I don't know is it a personal matter or his attitued in general !

The problem becomes worst when I am given more responsibilites ! coz I am busy doing things and I am not involved what else is going on with him !

Does anyone has an idea how to ressolve this situation?

No nudity, but it reminded me of a cruise: drinking, eating, line dancing, limbo...
They even had the electric slide running on a loop for about 20 min.
Well, all-in-all it was ok despite the cheesiness.

ChemFemme,

I have been to one of those 8 hour, off-site, listen-all-day things. Frankly, it wasn't worth the paper that the notes were written on. IMHO. One event that I found to boost morale happened at an engineering firm that I used to work for. We had been busting our humps to get a project completed in an impossible time-frame (aren't they all?). The municipality that we were working for knew that it was impossible. Through long hours, weekends etc. we completed the project on time. As a "thank you" the firm took everyone that worked on the project out to lunch on a Friday afternoon. After lunch had been ordered and a couple of beers had been consumed per person, the Project Manager stood up and announced that we had done such a good job that the management had agreed to give all of us the rest of the day off with pay. It seemed to boost morlae fairly well. The important aspect of this is to periodically show appreciation to the crew on a continual basis. It doesn't have to be every day or every week, but, occasionally let the workers know that their efforts are noticed AND appreciated. Next time there is a need for the "extra yard" the crew will be more likely to step up.

Hope this helps,
Paul

I like the game Scrupples.

We have been out to places like Incredible Pizza for all you can eat pizza plus video games, go carts, bumper cars, put put golf.

Take everyone out for a day of playing paintball. Team work takes on new meaning when you're getting shot at.

And shooting at each other should help to work out any personal frustrations.

Vince

We went to a team building / personel development 3 day course. Run at an outward bound centre by two 'professional' people.

The first morning was the usual introductions, who you are what you do and which site you are based at. This was followed by "What do you hate / fear? We will get you to face up to these fears and overcome them"

The first person picked on mumbled he did not like hights and was told by the end of the course he would be climbing masts.
The second person said at nearly 60 she was not bother about overcoming any fears and they where staying private. This got an abrubt ok and a look that said we will deal with you later.
The third person with a completly straigh face expained that he had always had on fear and that he hoped they could help him over come this. Egars questions from the instructors as to what the fear was. "Being alone in a room full of nymphomanic women" was the reply.
Instructor loosed rag says not to be silly.
Rest of room is in histerics, real good team building.
Rest of the time was fun but not much use

Now is the time to wonder if these "team building" events aren't actually all too effective.
I just read that one of the London Tube bombers recently went white water rafting in Wales withone or more of his co-bombers and is said to have favoured team building events such as this and paintballing as part of the brainwashing techniques.

That's good enough reason for me to stay away. If suicide bombers find it that effective then I wish to remain a confirmed cynic. I am not sure I want to be part of a "team" that much.

JMW

Look on the bright side. The bastards might drown.

----------------------------------

One day my ship will come in.
But with my luck, I'll be at the airport!

there's a ton of replies here. i read the first 15 or so.

ive been to Go-Kart days with a company. It was a ton of fun. Also worked for a company that brought in a masseusee every other friday and gave 30 minute massages to employees. they were both fun and i loved them... but what do i know, im just 25. :)

oh and i dont work in either of those companies haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back