Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ideas for a solid swept cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MesaTactical

Mechanical
Nov 17, 2004
US
I need to create a cavity in a part to accommodate this lever handle as it rotates back (just the blue one):

Because it is an irregularly shaped part, I am having trouble working out how to make the cavity for it. Ideally, it would be cool if I could use the solid sweep option of the swept cut feature to carve out the cavity, but of course that feature only allows the use of a rotated body as a tool.

What would be alternative methods for producing such a cut?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can create a separate solid within the part similar to one the you show in your picture. (Where you expect the cavity to be). Or insert that part you showing, position it using relations and mates. Then Use the combine tool to subtract the intersecting bodies, this will leave the cavity.

You can pattern the part multiple times and cut each pattern instance from the part that needs the cavity.

For example, if your handle will rotate through 30 degrees, create a pattern of your handle which creates an instance every 1 degree. Cut each patterned instance from your "mating" part to form a rough cavity. You will probably end up with some jagged edges to this cavity that you can clean up however you see fit.

I'd probably use the jagged cavity as a starting point to re-create the cavity and eliminate the overhead of the pattern.

Another way to create your cavity might be with a revolved cut. If your part truly does rotate (as opposed to being swept), you have your axis of revolution defined. The trick will probably be in generating the section to revolve.

Just a couple ideas for you to consider...

Circular pattern with a fine spacing and then a sketch with intersection curve to the patterned body. Offset for desired clearance. It may be worth doing a fit spline to the intersected curve. See attached.
download.aspx

Rob Stupplebeen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back