Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Identifying Open Web Steel Joist

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsr729

Structural
Mar 9, 2011
US
While trying to determine the size of open web steel joist supporting a roof I found a tag on the joist but it seams to be a fabrication tag. The tag states "18746J3 GUILLE". The joist measure 16" deep...most likely a 16K. Any tips on how to determine what 16 series the joist is? There are no as-builts.

THanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Call Guille Steel Products, Inc. at 804-497-3585. Not sure they are still in business, but try it. If they are in business they will probably give you more info than you need.

If not, call the Steel Joist Institute. They might have a Guille Catalog.

If you go to the SJI website they have a online form to fill out and will tell you what size the joist appears to be. From my experience with them, they will get back to you the same day and are fairly accurate.

dsr729...SJI sells a 50 year and older joist manual that has most of the catalogs. Good reference material for any structural engineer. I have two different ones, but in storage so can't look it up for you.

Nhstrut and Ron are on point. You can ask SJI online, and my firm has the huge joist manual with like every joist of the last 100 years. Both are good resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back