Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IGES Import Help for Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSSmodel

Bioengineer
Oct 3, 2003
US
I have successfully imported a CAD model generated from a laser scan of a human jaw section.

The file was prepared by software that creates "water tight" surface models in NURBS format from the point clouds generated by the laser scanner. The nurbs format was converted into .igs for export into UG.

The UG NX translator converted the .igs to .prt with "sew surfaces" selected in the "advanced" tab of the translator.

The converted UG NX .prt file opens and looks great, but has no parametric properties and is shown as a wireframe.
The wireframe is selectable and datum planes can be assigned to it, but that's about all I can do with it.

The question is...

How do I convert the wire-frame UG model into a solid UG model suitable for manipulation (ie. hole and slot drilling, boss and fillet operations, etc.) in UG?

This may be a bad question but I've only recently been exposed to this software and would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

CSS

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are no translators that can create parametric models.

Take your surface model and sew the patches togetehr and then thicken the sheets. You can now add fillets and holes.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Also read the help docs regarding the Direct Modeling tools. They will allow you to create some of the "parameters" you seek, such as hole diameters, and wall thicknesses.
If you only see wireframe geometry, you may not have the view settings set to shade (I don't know exactly how "new" of a user you are, so it may be that simple), or the sheets (surfaces) may be on a blanked layer.

-Derek
DL Engineering Services

specializing in CAD Design Consultation Services

You can also try out some specific translation softwares that can translate the IGES Sheets to "Parasolid" Solids. With this you can have a solid body & with it may be you can try your options.

Thanks
Karthik S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back