Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Igniting diesel at 1000K temp and 10 bar pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azmio

Automotive
Dec 23, 2003
MY
Hi guys,

I have this crazy idea about igniting diesel at around 10 bar with 1000K temperature in a bomb calorimeter. Do you guys think that this is possible? what will be the effect to ignition delay?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, I looked at info on my PC and came across a map for ignition of iso-octane at various temperatures (along one axis) and pressures (along another).

The area was segmented into different areas for
A. no ignition
B. cool flame
C. two stage ignition
D. single stage ignition

Above 6 atmospheres pressure there was no cool flame region any more: cold mixtures didn't ignite at all, and anything over about 300C did.

At 1 atmosphere, 600 C was sufficiently hot for single stage ignition. By the time you got to 5 atmospheres, anything above about 400 C was sufficient for single stage ignition. (That is, pressure helps)

Since diesel fuel is designed to compression ignite and iso-octane is so often referenced due to its ability to resist autoignition, I'd say your diesel will ignite at 1000K and 10bar.

I really want to find out the effect of low pressure to the diesel boiling point and diesel evaporation rate. Perhaps if anyone has done the bomb calorimeter experiment, it will be great for us to know the result.

Azimo,
What you are talking about is very similar to the Advanced Engine Technology (AET) Ignition Quality Tester (IQT) device. Although intended simply to replace the historic cetane engine test, the data output can be interpreted to impart other information about the specific fuel.

Go here:
or here:

This device is a heated bomb into which the test fuel is injected and then the fuel characteristics are inferred from the pressure rise profile.

PJGD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back