Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ignition ECU

Status
Not open for further replies.

comnean

Automotive
May 13, 2002
RO
Good day and escuses for my bad english
1. I want to know if lossing of a earth strap for a ECU is fatal

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Good day,
On resume the problem is follow:
A ignition ECU (VW GOLF II/KR Engine/1,8L DOHC/139HP) was destroyed because earth strap from this (on engine) was broken. More I find that the DC stabiliser from inside generate a 7V and have a 23kHz. oscillation instead of a normal DC tension of 5V. Only function for fuel pump is keept normally and is impossible to obtein a spark. All check recomended by VW and HAINES repair manual was performed. Help my please with a sugestion.
Sorry for my very bad english

I am not familier with this exact wireing setup but depending on how it is wired the ground wire being broken could cause the ignition module to be reuined.

From what I understand a break in the current at the wrong place in the circuit can send a few KV signal into the ignition module and eisiely destroy it.

Hy,
The earth (ground) cable is the ground from ECU DC input. I thing that the ECU has functioned with a ground from a induction loop. Inside ECU exist a EPROM in P-MOS (probably FET) that use verry low current and voltages.I'm not sure but is possible that this EPROM to be fatal damaged.I'm courious if other peoples was in my situation, especially for VW with ECU for ignition. Please a sugestion. Anticipate thanks.
Sorry for english language.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back