Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ignore edge fillet (radius lower then 10mm) while meshin surface?? g a

Status
Not open for further replies.

ENCHTAIN

Mechanical
Jul 20, 2006
TN
hi everybody,

I had a surface element composed of many fillet edges.

This surface element will be meshed with CATIA V5 R15, and according to the customer specifications, all fillet edges which their radius are lower than 10 mm shall be ignored (no node on this fillet edge).

How can'I ignore these fillet edges with CATIA?????????

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I understand your question correctly...
Do your mesh in Advanced Meshing Tools workbench.
When defining Advanced Mesh, you get an option to Merge During Simplification, and Min Size. Set your min size to a number larger than 10mm.

Yes, I'm not sure I understand your question, either. I mean, ignoring a radius of less than 10mm - meaning run an analysis with no fillet? (= tainted results?)

Or, do you just want to ignore the nodes in the analysis output?

---
CAD design engineering services - Catia V4, Catia V5, and CAD Translation. Catia V5 resources - CATBlog.

First of all I want to thanks all,

Yes I’m working with the Advanced Meshing Tools workbench of CatiaV5R15. My purpose is to simplify the mesh. The simplification consists on:

-the rounded fillet edges with a radius less than 10 mm must not contain any node;

-the rounded fillet edges (which have a form of a quarter of circle) will be replaced in the mesh by a 90° right angle (The node is placed at the corner of this right angle).

Consequently the Mesh form will not be same as the geometrical form of the part: some nodes will be outside!!

The best solution I have is to take out those fillets - remove or supress the features, and then mesh the model.
also, make certain you don't have any holes you don't need for the calculation, since they will cause unnecessary stress concentrations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back