Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Illinois SE-Review Course

Status
Not open for further replies.

action

Structural
Jul 18, 2001
US
I am scheduled to take the Illinois SE exam in October. There are review courses offered (in Illinois) to prepare for this exam. Due to my location, I find it impossible to attend.
Is there anyone out there that has recently taken this course? I would like to borrow, rent, or buy your course materials, if possible. I contacted the University of Illinois to purchase course materials, but they do not sell the materials unless you take the course.
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It depends on where you are located. I have just taught a review course for the Illinois SE this past spring at the SIUE. However, we won't offer the course again until next spring. So if the exam doesn't pan out for you then watch for the brochures

Hey Q...maybe you should take that show on the road. There's probably more need than anyone is aware since many of us practice in states other than our residence...you included!!

Besides, it probably would meet requirements for Continuing Ed.!!

You're right about that RON. I really didn't believe that we would see many folks - it was our first time. To my knowledge nothing had been presented like that south of Chicago since Illinois mandated the SE license. But then no one from Cook (Chicago) county really believes that Illinois is bigger than the city itself. At any rate we had over 20 attendees and very positive feedback. Recently, the PE format has changed which will allow us to market our program to those folks too.

Any time I can help another lost soul, like myself, I feel pretty darn good. Probably why I like this forum sooo much!!

Hey Q...make the course a bit more general to include all SE licensing (I suppose that would only be IL and CA?) hold it in Orlando, then retire.

Qshake, I am a resident of the St. Louis area and scheduled to take the SE-1 in Illinois this Oct.. Do you kow why they always only offer those review courses for the spring test. It seems like more people would be taking it in the fall? Anyway, do you know who the contact would be at SIUE about that test. I would be interested in taking in as a review for the SE-2 or possibly even the SE-1 again if it doesn't go so well.

I took the Chicago SE refresher course last Fall. It was well worth it for me, especially the seismic. However, it was pretty convenient since my office is only 5 blocks away. I knew someone who drove 4-1/2 hours twice a week for 3-1/2 months. That's dedication!

I am taking the test for the first time in 4 weeks, so we'll see how it really helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back